32 vs 64 issues

Reaction score
I have a new Acer i3 based laptop, it came with 64 bit version of Windows 7

For the most part everything seems to be working - some issues with the 64 bit version of IE, but there is a 32 bit version loaded on the system as well. My question is I can not find nor does the mfg have 64 bit drivers for such things as HP 4180 printer and HP 2101nw Wireless USB Print serve. If I load the 32 bit software (if it will even load) will it run on a win 7 64 bit system? Am I just asking for more problems, I wish Microsoft would have more help on 64 vs 32 issues.

Is this a short term issue, or will this choice of laptop just plague for for a long time?

Any comments would at least help me not (i hope) regret the upgrade to a new laptop with Windows 7. Now I have Microsoft office 2010 and many other software programs will not function well with it ie Norton Security Suite (can not run anti spam on Outlook 2010 mail)

Some features of Skype not working well either.... O well makes XP sp3 look much better.

Reaction score
Hi mpb1 - Welcome to w7forums

Here is the 64-Bit driver for the printer - HP Photosmart C4180 All-in-One Printer

I only see a 32-Bit driver for the print server. - HP 2101nw Wireless G Print Server. Downside is the 32-Bit drivers will not work on a 64-Bit OS. :(

We are currently in a transition between 32-Bit and 64-Bit. I'm thinking that within the next couple of years, the transition will be complete and 64-Bit will be the norm. However we will have the older 32-Bit machines as antiques for many years to come.

Ask a Question