SOLVED Partition issues after cloning hd

GRD

Reaction score
After updating my old E510 from xp to w7 found that the 80gb drive was too small and added a 250gb and cloned it using Aomei backupper 3.2. I wanted to move an unallocated partition into C: but the extend volume is greyed out in the wizard. This is what is stated on the two drives in computer management. Disk 0 basic 232.88gb online- (f) 55mb healthy primary partition - (c) 70.49 gb ntfs healthy(system boot, page file, active, crash dump, primary partition) - (h) 3.95gb fat32 healthy (primary partition) - 158.39gb unallocated. Disk 1 basic 74.50gb on line -55mb healthy (oem partition) (g) 70.49gb ntfs healthy (active, primary partition) - 3.95gb healthy (primary partition). I intend to format Disk 1 after I make sure these partition are in correct order and have loaded my other programs and files. The F-C-H has me wondering if things were cloned correctly or not, that is the advise I am seeking.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
it sounds like it cloned all the partitions and restored them the same size on the new drive. Windows built-in disk management partition adjustment is very limited ... it can only expand a partition if there is open space directly to the right of it.

You would likely be better off just deallocating the 250gb drive & then allocate the partitions fresh by yourself. Then clone restore one partition at a time.

There is partitioning software available that can move/expand non-contiguous space but I do not know of any that are freeware.

GRD

Reaction score
Found an article on Dell's knowledge base on - How to format a hard drive in w7 without formatting. I also understand that there is a free partitioning wizard program by MiniTool. I am looking for something that will correct the partitions on Disk0 without having to make a lot of choices.

GRD

Reaction score
Found an article on Dell's knowledge base on - How to format a hard drive in w7 without formatting. I also understand that there is a free partitioning wizard program by MiniTool. I am looking for something that will correct the partitions on Disk0 without having to make a lot of choices.
Read the Dell knowledge base article over and it is more for "adding" a partition, where as I am looking for something that will correct the partitions on mine.

Ask a Question