Zone Alarm for Windows 7

Veedaz

~
Reaction score

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I used to use ZA free in XP for a long time (dam good Firewall) maybe its time to look at it again :)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I used to use ZoneAlarm for quite a while back several years ago. Now days it's just too intrusive; always asking for this approval or that. Constantly asks to "Click Here" etc, ad infiniutm!

I am using ESET SmartSecurity now and it runs in the background very quiet and unobtrusive. I like it very much, sometimes I don't even realize its there!

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Is ESET SmartSecurity well priced Nibiru and would you recommend it for Windows 7 ? i ask because my wife is looking into options for security for her new desktop (built by me and on its second day on line) present security is Windows 7 Firewall and Avast for a temporary security solution until my wife decides on a final solution, so please do tell all :)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Okay, ask and ye shall receive:

ESET SmartSecurity System Requirements:

Processors supported: Intel or AMD x86-x64
Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows 7 (32- and 64-bit editions), Microsoft Windows Vista (32- and 64-bit editions), Microsoft Windows XP (32- and 64-bit editions), Microsoft Windows 2000
Memory: 48 MB
Disk Space (download): 32 MB
Disk Space (installation): 46 MB

When I downloaded the "Trial Version" later they sent me an email with a better discount than what's shown above, I just can't remember it... darn it.

The trial is good for one month free! They send you a user name and password via email.

ESET Smart Security Overview

The Internet is a wonderful place for networking, searching for information and entertainment, but it is also where malicious software and other threats lurk. ESET Smart Security 4 keeps your PC safe with smart proactive detection that blocks most known and undiscovered threats hours or days faster than other Internet security technologies. Smart Security enhances your Internet experience without getting in the way.
Key Benefits

• Built on the award-winning NOD32 antivirus and antispyware engine
  • Stops most new threats proactively, well before other vendors have issued a signature, maximizing your defense against new and unknown threats
  • Integrated antispam and personal firewall keeps your online life safe
  • Scans and cleans Internet traffic and email, even when it's SSL-encrypted, so your email is always safe
  • Stops threats from entering through removable devices so you can share files with confidence
  • Integrated SysInspector and SysRescue simplify system diagnosis and recovery
  • Self defense prevents malware from degrading your level of protection
  • Tiny signature updates happen discretely as needed and won't bog down your system
  • Free technical support via the Web, email or phone

Key Features

Smarter Scanner – Threats don't always enter in ways you expect. ESET Smart Security inspects SSL-encrypted communication channels like HTTPS and POP3S, and intelligently scans compressed files to find threats that other products miss. ESET's Smart Optimization feature makes file scanning faster than ever.

Time-saving Firewall
– The new Learning Mode saves time by automatically creating firewall rules by observing how you use your computer, while offering advanced firewall modes for power users.

Upgraded Antispam
– ESET Smart Security now takes care of annoying spam with a smaller, faster, and even more effective spam filter.

Removable Media Security
– Threats can enter your PC from removable media such as USB thumb drives. For self-running media, ESET Smart Security scans autorun.inf and associated files when the medium is inserted, in addition to scanning any file on any removable device when it is accessed, or during a full-scan of the media. Power users can adjust ESET Smart Security to perform additional levels of scanning on removable media.

System Tools
– ESET SysInspector and ESET SysRescue simplify diagnosing and cleaning of infected systems by allowing deep scans of system processes to find hidden threats, and creating bootable rescue CD/DVD or USB drives to help you repair an infected computer.

Self Defense
– ESET Smart Security has built-in technology to prevent malicious software from corrupting or disabling it, so you can rest assured your system is always protected.

Many Usability Improvements – ESET Smart Security has numerous speed, security and usability upgrades.

• Energy-sipping battery mode extends laptop battery life without compromising security
  • Advanced Protection Status screen informs you of threat detections
  • Information pop-ups are hidden when running full screen applications like games, video players or presentations
  • Password protection prevents ESET Smart Security from being uninstalled by strangers
  • New interface and keyboard shortcuts simplify use for visually impaired users

I hope this helps, it not as inexpensive as ZoneAlarm, but I feel it's much better, uses less RAM, and very user-friendly!

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Thanks Nibiru (i will show the missis when she comes in) the price is not bad and spec is no problem.

Spec

Case : Akasa Freedom Xone Case - Black
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Silent SLI Ready Modular Power Supply
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard
CPU : Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156)
RAM : Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
GPU : ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB GDDR5
HDD : Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache
Optical Drive : LiteOn IHAS324-32 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Since they give a one month trial basis for it, she can use it and see how she likes it.

Based on my experience, I believe she'll like it. IMHO! (But we all know that women are somewhat contrary, at times.)

Reaction score
I used to use ZoneAlarm for quite a while back several years ago. Now days it's just too intrusive; always asking for this approval or that. Constantly asks to "Click Here" etc, ad infiniutm!
Been using it for years and you can set ZA up so that you only need to click if your software tries to connect to the web and its not on your approved access list.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
This morning i installed ZoneAlarm version 9.1.007.002 to my main Computer (as a test) and its working fine (this is the sort of software i like as it tells me i don't need to do anything :D)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
What's wrong with the default Windows Firewall? I've seen these ads for years from companies promoting firewalls, but I've never had an intrusion. I have mine checked to "Don't allow exemptions". Isn't that good enough? I think that's where some users problems are coming from, these type of programs, and the users don't know how to properly install them. Between your virus protection and Windows Firewall, that should suffice for the majority of users.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
What's wrong with the default Windows Firewall? I've seen these ads for years from companies promoting firewalls, but I've never had an intrusion. I have mine checked to "Don't allow exemptions". Isn't that good enough? I think that's where some users problems are coming from, these type of programs, and the users don't know how to properly install them. Between your virus protection and Windows Firewall, that should suffice for the majority of users.
catilley1092 - I believe most users add a 3rd party firewall because most firewalls have more protection features than the standard Windows Firewall.

Remember that the firewall in XP sucked! A lot of users were put off by that and went to installing their own choice of firewalls. Because of that most have not checked out the Windows 7 firewall, which is VERY good and fairly easy to configue.

That's all I'll say about this because this thread could devolve into a pi**ing contest about which firewall is better, blah, blah, blah. (No offense intended, just being honest)

Ask a Question