Your Favourite Malware Application

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I used to use BOClean from Comodo when it was retail in XP then it went to freeware and now its part of Comodo Internet Security, it would have been nice if it was still separate so i could try it in Windows 7. Today i use Malwarebytes (free version) as an on-demand scanner and its very good :), so whats your favourite malware app ?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have been using Microsoft security essentials for a while now. So far I am very satisfied. On an initial test, it found two (admittedly not serious!) items which both Avast and AvgFree had skipped. It is very discrete and definition updates pop up on schedule, through the normal update process.
It did take a long time on it's initial full scan, but this is fully customisable.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Reaction score
I have been using Microsoft security essentials for a while now. So far I am very satisfied. On an initial test, it found two (admittedly not serious!) items which both Avast and AvgFree had skipped. It is very discrete and definition updates pop up on schedule, through the normal update process.
It did take a long time on it's initial full scan, but this is fully customisable.
I tried to download Microsoft Security Essentials, but I get a message saying "Not available in your country or region" when I try do download it. I hope they roll it out to the UK soon.

Have you got any screen shots of it so I can see what it looks like please? It sounds like you're impressed with it so I hope they release it soon!

Reaction score
Please do not use AVG as it causes the most poor performance, networking issues and bsod on the internet. Completely uninstall from system is highly recommended.
I'm trying not to start a campaign against AVG, but I too had a bad experience with them. Installed AVG and after two days the program had to go.

AVG on my system was a major resource hog. As you can tell from my system specs, I do not have the greatest system in the world to begin with.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Never used AVG Clifford but from what i have heard i don't think i will ever bother :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
AVG is most certainly a resource hog, and the free version offers no "real time" protection. Lavasoft's Ad Aware is an excellent compliment to your main antivirus of choice. Forget Windows Defender, it's a resource hog and a pain in the butt as well. I don't need a program asking me if I want to install a program. Microsoft should have devoted those resources to improving IE.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I don't use AVG so i cant say if its good or bad, AVG Technologies, formerly Grisoft have been around for many years so i would have thought they understand PC users needs ?, so is there any AVG users here that can comment ?

The reason i don't use AVG is because as Catilley and others have said its a resource hog.

Comments ? .............

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's a resource hog, and the only live "protection" that you have are those green check marks by the websites. You can get that kind of protection in Firefox by an addon to your browser called WOT (Web Of Trust). It shows colors (green, yellow, red and a ?) mark by the website. I once heard that IE offered that, but I don't know for sure.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I used to use AVG but had a few near-misses where it didn't see a virus on my old XP install and I eventually went to Avast. I am also using A-Squared and so far it runs like a champ alongside Avast. I like the MSE but it seems less fully featured than Avast (where Avast has 7 user configurable 'providers' where you can select the level of protection, MSE has nothing like that)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Avast is very good and i used it for years before i went over to Vipre.

Reaction score
I have Win7 Premium 64bit and use Avast, Malwarebytes and Spywareblaster. As I already have a AV program (Avast), can I also use Microsoft Security Essentials without causing AV conflicts?

Thanks

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi boaterbob

Microsoft Security Essentials has a Anti Virus and i would not recommend running two at the same time.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Hi boaterbob

Microsoft Security Essentials has a Anti Virus and i would not recommend running two at the same time.

Is Microsoft Security Essentials enough to protect a pc?

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Your milage may vary but for a short while, I was runing the Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast together with no lag or issues I could see. I ultimately felt Avast was enough but MSE seems to play nice with othe Anti-Viruses

Ask a Question