Your Favourite Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
On my main computer i use Windows 7 Firewall as i found its a decent firewall (many will say - if you have a hardware firewall you don't need a software firewall) well i do and thats my choice, Windows 7 firewall can be configured for outbound traffic but the easy way is to use Windows 7 firewall control (freeware) > http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/order.html you can block inbound, outbound, or both, dead easy to use and it works. So whats your Firewall ?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I use the one built in to Kaspersky Internet Security, and that offers quite a large amount of control. :) I'm impressed with the new Windows 7 advanced firewall as there is much more control, but I still use KIS2010 for now.

Reaction score
I switched from ESET IS a couple of months ago because I couldn't configure printer sharing with it. I now use Norton IS 2010 and I couldn't be happier with it and I have to say I was never a Norton fan but after they removed the bloat I have become a convert.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I use ESET Smart Security, easy to work with and no issues.

I have use Windows 7 firewall in the past and ran some web site test on it and it passed with flying colors. It is a basic FW but works well.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Comodo Firewall (not the all in one package). Used this on XP for a few years before W7. A bit tricky to use at first but after awhile, I've gotten very used to how it works and never have any issues with it.

Reaction score
I use ESET Nod 32 full security suite, and have done so since it was first made available. I have NEVER had any reason to complain about it. What is more, support should you need it is available by e mail or if you are in the UK, by telephone.:cool:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Actually the BEST firewall is:

Two layers of 5/8" Fire-rated Drywall on each side of a 2x4 metal studs staggered @ 16" OC on 2x6 metal top & bottom plates. Taped and mudded with fire-resistant tape & mud. Should be about a 90 minute rating! :lol: ;)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Mine has always been the one included with whatever Windows version that I'm running. I have never (to the best of my knowledge) had an intrusion on any of my computers. I check the box "don't allow exemptions" on my older laptop, and on Windows 7, it is set for only allowed exceptions to enter. It may not be maximum security, but it probably keeps most crooks out. A professional cyber crook will find a way to get in, no matter what.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Cat wrote
A professional cyber crook will find a way to get in, no matter what.
A lot of the software they use is free !, its a continuing war.

Reaction score
I would say that half the world does not need to worry, because they don't make enough money to draw attention from the professional crooks. As for the other half, suck it up you are a target.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I have nothing of value on my Computer ....... just in case any hackers read this thread :p

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Me too, I fall into the half that has little of value, and if I did, it certainly would not be on this computer.:viking:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I switched from ESET IS a couple of months ago because I couldn't configure printer sharing with it. I now use Norton IS 2010 and I couldn't be happier with it and I have to say I was never a Norton fan but after they removed the bloat I have become a convert.

I'm with ya roban. Norton did streamline their system in 2009, which continues for the 2010 version. NIS did remove the bloat and it runs smoothly.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's about time they did. Most people that I know who have used Norton (me included) wasn't very fond of it. They've been around a while, they should have their act together by now.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Norton did have a reputation for being a system hog, but looks like things have changed !

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
^ :lol: ... I will admit I have never used Norton, but folks say its got better :)

Reaction score
re:

mse for a free one, even the new avast 5 is pretty good.

kaspersky or nod32 for paid ones.

Reaction score
I got in trouble for being a cyber crook :D now i'm on an FBI watch list.
From my experience it doesn't matter who you are because I like the stuff you have. For example I might have hacked you for the following reasons:
1) your CPU to execute my programs
2) your Hard drive so I dont waste space on mine
3) your data, theres some intresting stuff out there.

Don't worry I don't engage in hacking anymore, I figure if I was stupid enough to get caught... I'm not smart enough to keep doing it.

I bet the commando firewall would keep me out though ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question