XP to Win 7 Home Premium on a NetBook

Reaction score
Have an Acer D250-1580 Netbook, N270 Atom
1.66 Mhz
160 HHD
1 GB RAM – soon to be 2
XP SP3

Ran the Win 7 upgrade advisor, all but a Widcomm Bluetooth software (which I M/S says there
Is an update driver) all green check marks.

Will I lose battery life (currently getting about 7 hrs)?
Any other negatives with moving to Win & Home Premium?

Reaction score
I did it, runs great if not better than XP, but I am running Win7 with 2GB of RAM. I have the D150 (the model without the bluetooth built in). I say go for it just keep the Acer 6GB partition intact just in case you want to go back to XP. As for battery life it's the same and Win7 comes out of sleep mode faster. There are no negatives switching over except for my only little gripe about not having drivers for the touchpad so I can use the scoll feature on the pad.

Reaction score
When one does the custom install, how do you designate / keep the Acer 6GB partition intact?

The part of not having drivers for the touchpad does concern me. Does this mean you can't use the two finger method to expand the window?

blue tooth no so much concerns me, the only time I would use BT is if I get a wireless mouse, even then a BT plug is provided that would go into a USB port.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If it will run Windows 7, go for it! Just backup your drivers and important files. The less that you have to transfer, the better. If Acer provided you with a driver reinstall disc, that would be better. I was an XP Pro user since 2002, just started Win 7 two weeks ago, and I love it! And you will, too.

Reaction score
When one does the custom install, how do you designate / keep the Acer 6GB partition intact?

The part of not having drivers for the touchpad does concern me. Does this mean you can't use the two finger method to expand the window?
I would keep the 6GB Partition intact just in case you want to reinstall XP. It has all the drivers and setup for XP.

I just found out from IAN that Acer is supporting our netbooks with Win7! AND they have drivers for the touch pad. I haven't had time yet to confirm if the two finger swipe works yet. Everything else works right after the install.

Reaction score
You should see a list of your partitions during the custom install process. Just make sure you don't touch the 6GB partion when you install, but Windows 7 won't overwrite this partition by itself as it's too small to install on to. It would only disappear if you chose to delete, format or merge it.

Ask a Question