XP mode

Reaction score
Hello,

one my friend has one ASUS notebook with W7PRO 64bit installed. Since he needs to run programs he used in Windows XP and not running on the new OS, we tried to install the XP mode. The procedure fails after the third step saying "the upgrade is not possible probably hardware specs problems". May anyone help us?

Thanks,

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
ptolomeus, welcome to the forum! For those computers that's not capable of hardware virtualization (which includes most laptops), there's a separate update that can be applied to make it work. I've had to use it on my notebook to make XP Mode work.

Your friend needs to go back to the web page where he downloaded everything, and download that update. That should get XP Mode working. If you (or he) needs further assistance, feel free to post back anytime.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
ptolomeus, welcome to the forum! For those computers that's not capable of hardware virtualization (which includes most laptops), there's a separate update that can be applied to make it work. I've had to use it on my notebook to make XP Mode work.

Your friend needs to go back to the web page where he downloaded everything, and download that update. That should get XP Mode working. If you (or he) needs further assistance, feel free to post back anytime.

Best of Luck,
Cat
the XP mode download page I accessed to, shows the following three steps to proceed to the XP Mode setup in the following order:

1. Windows XP Mode
  2. Windows Virtual PC
  3. Windows XP Mode Update
Is it the 3rd step the update you say?

Reaction score

Best of Luck,
Cat
Sorry for this double reply, I'ld have include this in the previous one:

the software that friend is not able to install (Chessbase Fritz12 - declared compatible with Vista OS) is instead installable correctly on W7HP (my PC) or Vista HP its other laptop (Sony Vaio). Do you think he can setup the program diversely without installing the XP mode update?

Ask a Question