XP Mode

Reaction score
Has anyone installed XP Mode? I am having issues installing it, I'm thinking its because I am running the RC. I've gone to the MS website and downloaded to two files it tells me to. I then proceed to install the first file of the two and it says it installs but it really doesn't. I open up the file location and it put some pictures of the setup in there but that's it. I'm not sure where I have gone wrong, I have used VM Ware before and it works just fine.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I do believe that there is a version of XP Mode for the RC that is different than for the Official Release

Reaction score
Ok that does make sense. I may just install Pro sooner than what I wanted to.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have never understood this "XP Mode" deal. Why not simply either have a spare system, or as others on this forum do, dual boot between the two? Why is there not a Win 2K Pro or Vista mode? The support for XP will still last a while, in fact I'm typing on a XP laptop while my PC is backing up. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what is it that you can do on XP that can't be done on Windows 7. I have both, as well as Win 2K Pro, and Windows 7 beats all of them with no problem.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Some people have either programs or items (like plotters or scanners) that only run on XP and they do not want to dual-boot. The virtual XP runs within Windows 7 so you could open a specific program in the XP and still do all your other work in windows 7 and no rebooting is needed to switch

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I see where you are coming from. There is a new member, angi, who submitted links to a program that will allow XP Mode in any version of Windows 7 as well as Vista. It's here in the software forum. It also allows for systems whose hardware is incapable of Virtual PC. Looks like a promising program for those who need it. VM Lite is the program name.

Reaction score
VM Lite is not the native solution for Win7. There is a difference between XP Compatibility Mode and XP Mode. The great part about XP Mode is installing your software in the VM environment but never having to open that VM installation again and run your programs the way they should through Win7.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Since not every version of Windows 7 will allow XP Mode, this VM Lite solution or Virtualbox (which I use) are perfectly fine for those who would like to run a progam or two in Windows 7 and do not want to dual boot with XP.

Ask a Question