Wrong WEI Score!!!

Reaction score
Hello Folks & experts Out there, i would be highly obliged if somebody can answer my query and rectify the issue i am facing for the past one week.
Below is my System configuration & corresponding WEI score for your reference.
The Build:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA MA785GM US2H
CPU / Speed: AMD Phenom XII 550 BE 3.1 Ghz WEI - 7.3
Memory / RAM: Dyenet 8 GB 800Mhz - WEI - 7.3
Graphics Card(s): Saphire 1GB DDR5 ATI Radeon 5850 - Prev WEI - 7.7 Current WEI - 6.0
Monitor Display(s): Samsung 17" (soon changing)
Hard Drive(s): 2x320GB WD Cavear Raid 0 WEI - 5.9
PSU: CM 500W Extreme Power
Case: Cooler Master Elite 310 with side panel
Cooling: Corsair H50 Hydro
Keyboard: Logitech
Mouse: Logitech
Internet Speed: 1.3 MBPS
Antivirus: Kaspersky 2010
Other Peripherals: 2x120MM CM LED FANS
2xCCFL LEDs
2xLG DVD RW
1x1TB WD Caviar HDD for storage
1x1TB Seagate External HDD storage
1xMS VX1000 Webcam
Background:
My above system was running fine as i tested them rigourously with Prime 95 & Memtest to which all it passed.

Issue: I recently upgraded from an OEM Edition of W7 Ultimate 64 Bit to Windows 7 Ultimate Retail 64 Bit Build: 6.1.7600. After this i noticed My ATI 5850 Graphic card score went down to 6.0 from 7.7. I was utterly frustrated at this did the following steps to rectify but in vain.

Tried installing & reinstalling all the known Drives from the ATI's website including the current 10.2

Went here: C:\windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore, And deleted contents of Datastore folder. went back & re run it but no go :-(

Did a clean install of Windows iteself and checked with the same set of drivers

The Case & CPU IDLE Temps are less than 40 Deg C and on full loat it doesnt go beyond 52 Deg C.

Tried System Restore as well many times and that at one point of time i got 3 BSOD's while reinstalling the ATI 8.66 Display Driver.

I am out of any known ideas and hence require your able guidance to get me back my 7.7 Rating of my Exp ATI 5850.

I know that the WEI is not that big of an indicator but still i had that rating before and it hurts if its 6.0 now.

Awaiting Impatiently for your solution/s
Saif Bukhari

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
saifbukhari, welcome to the forum! I know this isn't exactly what you want to hear, but I think that WEI "score" is a bunch of crap. You can have 7.9 on all but one, and if that one is 3.0, 3.0 is your "score". The 7.9's are thrown out of the window. Your hard drive is a 5.9, that is the lowest score on your list, and that's your final score. But what you can try to do (this is only temporary), is disable your AV for a couple of minutes. That may give you a slight increase, it did mine. The bottom line is, if your computer does what you need it to do, and does it fast enough to please YOU, and not a scorekeeper, then you are fine. But if you are out to chase a number, pull out some cash or plastic, and a lot of it, as you will spend a lot of money in pursuit of that 7.9 score. And I've only seen one posted on here, it was a couple of months ago. Best of luck to you, and I do hope that you find a way to raise your score.

Reaction score
Hi Catilley1092, I know that the wei doesnt matter, and the performance of my system has been exceptionally well for me on my benchmarks, Its just that this why it changed back and wanted to see if it can be rectifiied by any way.

I totally agree with you bro, just was not too comfortable how my score dropped.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Microsoft keeps changing how the WEI is calculated. By definition, the WEI scores aren't static; as newer technology in terms of hardware become available, existing scores drop, as the maximum score acquirable is increased. The maximum score in Vista was 5.9, whereas in most version of 7 it's 7.9. What was 5.9 under Vista, for example, is not likely going to be 7.9 under Windows 7, since in most cases that would just make the whole WEI score useless. Which it is anyway...

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Microsoft keeps changing how the WEI is calculated. By definition, the WEI scores aren't static; as newer technology in terms of hardware become available, existing scores drop, as the maximum score acquirable is increased. The maximum score in Vista was 5.9, whereas in most version of 7 it's 7.9. What was 5.9 under Vista, for example, is not likely going to be 7.9 under Windows 7, since in most cases that would just make the whole WEI score useless. Which it is anyway...
100% agreed, useless! If your computer will do what YOU want it to, as fast as YOU want it to, then there's no problem. If it doesn't do what you want, then either upgrade parts, or buy new. I prefer buying new over upgrading, except with easy to install parts, such as RAM. Some users are more familiar with upgrading parts than me, that's a decision to be made based upon your experience, which is the reason I'd buy new.

Ask a Question