SOLVED Working offline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
New windows 7 installation.

How do I "work offline" to protect a financial file from the internet?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Pull the plug. That is, if connected by Ethernet, disconnect your Ethernet cable. If wireless, disable the adapter. Or tell your firewall to block all traffic.

That said, if your system if properly setup with a firewall, a decent and current anti-malware program, and Windows is fully updated and patched, you should not need to disconnect.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unless your system is compromised (virus/malware) or you set it up to do so (data backup to the cloud or online storage or configured as a file server) then your files don't just magically get shared with the web even if you are connected. Simply maintain a good anti-virus and active firewall and be smart about what you install/run and you should be fine.

Even if you do disconnect, if the file is stored on your hard drive then if your system is compromised it can be gotten the next time you do connect. This is highly unlikely, but if you are going to be that paranoid then only store the file on a flash drive and only plug it in and edit it while you are unplugged from the internet. Or if you do choose to store it on your hard drive then consider using an encryption program (such as Bitlocker which is available in Windows Ultimate).

Reaction score
Solved, Thanks to all who responded, ( even those who avoided my query).

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Solved, Thanks to all who responded, ( even those who avoided my query).
I am glad it is solved, and thanks for telling us but note the purpose of these tech support forums is to allow posters to "share" their knowledge with others posters. Simply saying "Solved" does not help anyone who may be dealing with the same issue as you.

Please share your solution so everyone can benefit from your experience.

Reaction score
Open a browser window; In my case "Internet Explorer".

To find "Working Offline", press the alt key: the familiar headings of
File View Favorites Tools & Help appear.

Select File: near the bottom of the subsequent list is : Work Offline
Select work offline, it will be check marked to indicate you are now in fact "Offline".

Do not forget to re-select "work offline" to remove the check mark and enable online activity,
AFTER you clear the screen and re-start the browser.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That's not going to do it. That keeps your browser from connecting for that session. It does not prevent other on-line activity.

If you need to totally isolate your computer from potential hackers, you need to block ALL internet traffic. And that is done via the firewall, or physically disconnecting (pulling the plug) to your Internet connection.

Reaction score
This has gotten tiresome!

I needed to work on an encrypted file and did'nt need anyone "looking over my shoulder as I added data".

So ... working offline was the step I took to assure security.

This is the end of my involvment of this issue!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
As Digerati explained, you weren't really offline and added no real protection.

But since you are satisfied and you seem to be getting upset I will go ahead and close this thread to prevent any further frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question