Won't sleep/hibernate

Reaction score
My computer has an ASUS P5GD1 motherboard, 3 gig of RAM and 500 GB HDD
Since loading WIN& it won't sleep or hibernate. It seems to go into the mode, but restarts instantly. Any fixes??
thanks

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey fire cat thanks for that powercfg /requests command i was having some issues myself because my computer was going to sleep for a reason that I could not determine. I guess if i ever cross issues like that again, I will try this. Thanks :D

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey fire cat thanks for that powercfg /requests command i was having some issues myself because my computer was going to sleep for a reason that I could not determine. I guess if i ever cross issues like that again, I will try this. Thanks :D
Happy I helped you. BTW, remember, this is only to IDENTIFY the cause of the non-sleeping, so this will only tell you why your computer won't sleep, it won't fix it.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Hi capnguy!
Welcome to the windows 7 forums.
Ok, so firstly type this in cmd to see what stops your pc from going to sleep:

Please post the result.That will tell us what process is stoping you pc from sleeping, once we know that, we will then need to find a way to stop whatever it is.

Cheers,
Fire Cat
Hi fire cat
I entered the command but am now getting a message that I do not have permissions required to perform this action. I am signed in as myself/administrator.
What n;w?

Reaction score
More problems

Hi fire cat
Thanks for the quick reply. I entered the cmd but got a message saying I did not have permissions to access this program. I am signed in as myself/administrator.
What now?

Reaction score
Well as long as you are running the command powercfg /requests as administrator then paste the results back in the chat so fire cat can help you. You can copy and paste in the command prompt by right clicking inside the command prompt box and selecting the mark, then drag your cursor over the text you want to copy and then hit enter ( make sure its the enter key ). Then paste it in your reply by hitting ctrl+v

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I found this at: HowToGeek.com

Maybe it will help.

If you don’t use the Hibernate option in Windows 7, you can save some disk space by disabling it. Here we will look at a few different ways to manage hibernate options in Windows 7.

Note: Hibernate mode is not an option on systems with 4GB of RAM or more!

Enable or Disable Hibernate Through Command Prompt

Using the Command Prompt might be the easiest way to enable or disable Hibernation. Click on Start and type CMD into the search box and it will be listed under programs. Right-click on the icon and select Run as administrator.

The Command Prompt opens and you will use the following to enable Hibernation.
powercfg /hibernate on

Type in the following to disable hibernation.
powercfg /hibernate off

Manage Hibernation Through Control Panel
Click on Start and open Control Panel then click on Power Options.

On the left side click on Change when the computer sleeps.

Now click on Change advanced power settings.

In the Advanced Power Options window expand the Sleep tree then expand Hibernate after and change the minutes to zero to turn it off. Or you can specify the amount of minutes you want to pass before it goes into hibernation. After you’ve made your selection click Apply and Ok then close out of the remaining screens.

Where is Hibernate?
What if you try the command line option to turn it on and Hibernate mode still isn’t available? Then what you’ll want to do is disable Hybrid Sleep by expanding Allow hybrid sleep and turning it Off.

Now you should have Hibernate and Sleep as part of the power options in the start menu and will also be an option when you hit Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Disable Hibernate Through Regedit
Note: Changing registry values can cause your computer to become unstable or stop functioning and is only recommended for experienced users.
Now that the disclaimer is out of the way…you might want to completely disable Hibernate mode through a registry edit. Open the Registry and browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Power and change both HiberFileSizePercent and HibernateEnabled value data to zero. After you’ve made the changes close out of the Registry Editor and restart the machine.

If you always turn off your computer or never do, you can disable the Hibernate mode to gain a bit of extra hard disk space. On our Windows 7 (32-bit) machine with a 300GB hard drive, disabling Hibernation gained us just over 3GB of more disk space. That may not seem like much especially with today’s high capacity drives, but if you don’t need Hibernation, why not reclaim that space?

SOURCE

Reaction score
You have to use a Power prompt which you get by entering
cmd in the command box, then instead of hitting enter you have to hit Shift+Cntrl+Enter

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Ok, capnguy, so do what Niburu said, that will disable Hibernate. Though, if that isn't the problem, then retry what I said, but instead of doing it in a normal command prompt, you have to do it in an elevated command prompt.
powercfg /requests
To do so, type cmd in the search bar (start menu) and press Shift+Ctrl+Enter as tnafele suggested. Click on Yes when UAC pops up, and if the location of the the command prompt is "C:\WINDOWS\system32\" , Then, you are in an elevated command prompt, and you shouldn't have any problems with commands.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here is what I got when I entered powercfg/requests
DISPLAY:
None

SYSTEM:
[SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (RasMan0
Active RAS connection

AWAYMODE:
None.

Hope this helps point to the problems
thanks again
capnguy

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Note: Hibernate mode is not an option on systems with 4GB of RAM or more!
Oh? Don't tell that to my 8Gb machine then. That limitation does not include Windows 7 (32 or 64-bit) or Windows Server 2008 SP1.

It seems to go into the mode, but restarts instantly
That would suggest that something is waking it up. I would look in the BIOS and see what Power on options you have. Also note that a very sensitive mouse can keep a computer alive - the smallest vibration from your desk, even from someone walking by the desk may keep it alive. An old trick we used to do is turn the mouse belly up, and see what happens.

Reaction score
Hi
I was having the same issue. Went through all the motions with no success until I changed one little setting. Hit window>type power options> select "change plan settings" from the right of your selected power plan>select "change advanced power settings"> scroll to usb settings> usb selective suspend setting>disable. I did this after I updated bios/drivers and verified they were functioning properly. Also after making certain that it wasn't a program or a device causing the wake. Also make sure sleep states are enabled in bios, but research this first before messing with unknown settings

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well, thanks for the information but note you are replying to a thread that has been dormant for 7 months.

Reaction score
Hi capnguy!
Welcome to the windows 7 forums.
Ok, so firstly type this in cmd to see what stops your pc from going to sleep:

Please post the result.That will tell us what process is stoping you pc from sleeping, once we know that, we will then need to find a way to stop whatever it is.

Cheers,
Fire Cat
Hi Fire Cat,

Thanks for that i done that and i got

DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
None.

AWAYMODE:
None.
Do you have any ideas and I have a Dell Inspiron 1545

Thanks Carney Boii

Reaction score
switch off hibernate from control panel in power optons and always carefully press button for shut down

Reaction score
My computer has an ASUS P5GD1 motherboard, 3 gig of RAM and 500 GB HDD
Since loading WIN& it won't sleep or hibernate. It seems to go into the mode, but restarts instantly. Any fixes??
thanks
Had the same problem 18mths ago and this finally worked for me.
1. Ignore what win7 says re upto date drivers and load the latest from the manufactuerers ..NOT one of those Driver sites...get the latest for your Mouse, Keyboard and Video card.
2. Go to Device Manager/ Keyboard click on the little dash beside it then right click on the drop down menue(Keyboard) select "Properties" go to "Power Management" and make sure "Allow this item to wake up Computer" is NOT ticked.
3. Do all the other things re Power Options.
I spent weeks before I finally sorted it out..
Best of luck.
ronpeck

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"Allow this item to wake up Computer" is NOT ticked.
So now you cannot wake your computer with your keyboard?

If so, then that would not work for me.

Reaction score
First of all, it does not matter that I am posting here nearly 3 years after the last post as I have information to pass on to anyone else like me who was searching for an answer to the active RAS connection issue.
My active RAS connection was caused by my VPN connection which was accidentally left on causing my PC not to enter sleep mode. After disconnecting VPN, active RAS connection went away.

Ask a Question