Won't be able to follow-up on any subscribed threads for a while

Reaction score
I won't be able to respond to any of my subscribed threads for at least a week. I'm heading to be admitted in the hospital, as my ankles, feet and legs are swelling up like ballons. Look's like dialyssis is headed my way fast from Type 1 diabete's.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sir, we are truly sorry to hear that and we'll be mindful of you and pray that you get better!

Keep us posted, if possible.

Sincerely All My Best - Nibs

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Hoping the docs are able to quickly get your condition back under control, so ya can get home again! :(

Reaction score
Well. I just got back from the hospital. They didn't follow my doctor's order's and admit me. They just basically wasted 7 hour's of my time. The e/r doctor/hospital never contacted my primary care doctor. The only thing they did was a bllod test to see what my blood sugar is. I already knew what my blood sugar was/is as all diabetic's have a blood glucose meter, which tell's you what it is at that moment. Thet did a e.k.g. and electro-cardiogram to rule out it wasn't any heart problem's My doctor's and myself already knew it wasn't heart related. As I've not had any shortness of breath, pain in my arm's. It was a basic 6-7 hour's of wasting my time. Now I have to take the long route. Which entails going to the lab to pick up a container for a 24 hour urine test. Take container back to lab and get blood test to determine % of kidney function left. Then go to 3 seperate doctor's to figure the best treatment plan. All that was supposed to have been done by my p.c.p.'s order's for them to admit me. Which would've been faster and less stressful to me.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
It's tough but you must keep a positive attitude. Doing that will help you in more ways than you know.

Reaction score
Nah, I've had so much different medical stuff happen to me. None of it fases or worries me.

Reaction score
Hope all is going well, or well enough considering the circumstances.

Any objections to a folding party in your honor?

Reaction score
Thing's are going as good as possible. Numerous doctor's/appointment's, along with Medicare & Florida Medicaid repeatably throwing idiotic curveball's in my direction. As far as health care goe's, our government is clueless. Medicare is setup to cater to Type 2 diabetics. Problem is that I'm a Type 1 diabetic, which requires insulin to live. I'm also required by my physicians to check my blood sugar 4-8 time's daily. Yet Medicare cut that number in half on me. They then took over 4 month's to get my supplies for my insulin pump (which give's me insulin). Then because of them taking so long getting me my supplies, my sugar went out in my sleep quite a few time's. When that happen's, it basically a form of being unconscious. You don't wake up on your own. Yet because they took so long approving my insulin pump supplies, it caused my hypoglycemic episode's during sleep to go into overdrive. Medicare then cut the amount of strip's to test my blood sugar, down yet again. All due to there own stupidity. I'm basically about ready to sick attorney's after Medicare, as it's absolutely becoming useless to me. As, far as folding. No issue's there.
Hope all is going well, or well enough considering the circumstances.

Any objections to a folding party in your honor?

Reaction score
I won't be able to respond to any of my subscribed threads for at least a week. I'm heading to be admitted in the hospital, as my ankles, feet and legs are swelling up like ballons. Look's like dialyssis is headed my way fast from Type 1 diabete's.
Good luck, I was pre-diabetic 12 months ago but turned it around through 45 minute walks EVERY day and change of diet. Blood pressure only problem but now under control, will be thinking of you, sleepyH22

Reaction score
Yeah, that can work for Type 2's. I'm a Type 1 (which require's insulin injections daily). The government/Medicare are with holding all the device's I medically need for it.
Good luck, I was pre-diabetic 12 months ago but turned it around through 45 minute walks EVERY day and change of diet. Blood pressure only problem but now under control, will be thinking of you, sleepyH22

Reaction score
Have you looked into any additional support? My father is a member of the local Lion's club here, and they are always doing things to help with diabetes (including buying insulin pumps and such). Maybe you should give the local club there a call and see what they might be able to do to help. There are lots of other service clubs out there that like to help too, it can't hurt to ask.

Reaction score
More times than I can count. The area I live in is extremely bad in that area. I know for a fact, if I still lived in New Jersey or California I'd be in a much better area on all of this. This state only seem's to care about itself, not the citizen's that live in it. I can use this scenario as an example. In December of 2002, I went into a Diabetic coma due to gallbladder problem's. After my gallbladder was taken out, said hospital's social worker called me and asked me to come in. I went and the hospital signed me up for Social Security Disability due to numerous complications from diabetes. It took over 3 years to get the Social Security and I had to obtain a lawyer to get it. In the process, I had no income or help in this state. Had I lived in N.J. or Ca. , I would've been able to go to the unemployment office, get a form to have my doctor fill out. Once that form is filled out and returned, both state's would've put me on state disability until the Social Security kicked in. I also, would've been able to get medical care and medication through other program's in those state's. The emt's were at my house 3 last week. Saturday night, they finally gave a number to someone at a hospice in my area. A person came to my house yesterday and I had to give them number's of place's to call to help me. Gee, is it me or aren't they supposed to know places that I or they could contact ?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Gee, is it me or aren't they supposed to know places that I or they could contact ?
No, it's not you it's them. Most state workers in the area you're dealing with have a double-digit IQ.

Reaction score
I don't think there's a Lion's or even a Elk's in my area. To be quite honest this area is worse than New Jersey was, as far as thing's to do. The only thing near where I'm at, is the Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral. Funny part is that the woman from the hospice, is most likely going to run into a brick wall trying to get me any help. My doctor's, diabetes educator's, and I have gotten absolutely nowhere. Put it this way, I'm a true brittle diabetic. That mean's I've got the worst kind. It has no pattern's to it. What that mean's is my blood sugar/me could be fine at noon today. Tomorrow at that time for no reason it'll either be too low or too high. That's how my life has been, since 11/1979. Day in, day-out. I do what the doctor's tell me to do and I've gotten every complication from the disease. The only complication, I don't have is heart trouble. That's only because I have an over-active thyroid gland, so I still weigh 120 lbs. at 44 years old.

Reaction score
rjbelans. I did a search and there is a Lions in my town. I didn't think there was. The lady the emt's put me in contact with is coming to see me this afternoon. I'll suggest trying them to her. I'm not sure if they'll help, though, as the particular device and supplies for it are quite expensive. See I use an insulin pump which is a computerized device that is constantly hooked to me and deliver's the insulin I need. That is covered by Medicare/Medicaid ($6,000.+ pump & $1,200+ every 3 months for line's). The device I need is called a continuous glucose montor. It cost's $1,200.+ and the lines for it are $1,200.+ every 3 month's. Medicare/Medicaid doesn't cover that. That device is medically necessary ,per numerous doctor's. That device is also constantly hooked to me and it check's my blood sugar, through a type of fluid that's under our skin every 5 minute's It automatically send's the result's to the insulin pump I use. If my blood sugar is getting too low or too high, it make's loud beeping noise's on the insulin pump. That way I or somebody else nearby can get me help, pronto. One of my main problem's with being a brittle type 1 diabetic, is that my blood sugar goe's too low when I'm asleep. When your blood suar doe's that during sleep, I don't wake up. Thus it continues to go lower. The emt's are basically at my house every other day.

Reaction score
P.S. In Europe I heard that the same c.g.m.s. device will automatically stop the insulin pump from delivering any insulin, while your blood sugar is too low. The f.d.a. is with holding it and alot of other device's/medicine's from us in the U.S> It's really stupid. Almost seem's like they don't care. (That's being, nice). I've lived the truth on that one since my retired military veteran father passed away in 1978 and they wouldn't transfer him to a hospital 2 minute's away the specialized in heart & lung problem's. Instead they left him to die. Then a year later I got the diabete's and the real fun with the military hospital began. I'm in the shape I am now, because they didn't have me on the right medicine from day 1. They also, never did alot of various test's, that they should've done. Namely, no kidney test's what-so-ever.

Reaction score
I finally got some where in the matter. Apparently Medicaid doesn't tell anyone that their so-called "Share of Cost", before they'll help you is a big time lie they use to avoid helping people. The lady from the hospice put her phone on speakerphone and made some call's. Apparently the company that make's my insulin pump and the continuous glucose montor (same company), need's to send me a form stating Medicare won't cover the c.g.m.s., I have to sign it and mail it back to them. Then they send it to Florida Medicaid. I guess I'll find out if that one work's in a month or two. As far as the kidney's- I can't get the test done on them for another week. My endocrynologist (diabetic doctor) put me on 2 medication for the swelling. I need to wait until I stop taking them before getting the 24 hr. urine test. If I do it while I'm on the medicine, the test result's will be inaccurate. All doctor's are pointing at my kidney's now.

Ask a Question