My new USB Portable Diskette Drive Won't Work with Windows 7

Reaction score
Hello. I recently purchased a Portable Diskette Drive that plugs into the USB. Every disk I put in, I get a message saying the disk must be formatted. These are old discs with lots of saved stuff on them. If I format the disks, everything will be lost. It also looks like, from what I've seen online, if someone choose to format the disks, everything will be lost and you can't use them any way.

Is there any way I can override this problem with Windows 7?

Thanks.

If I can't, does anyone know a portable USB drive that works with 7? Maybe I can get that the next time around.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Did you install the drivers that came with the device, or download drivers for it from the manufacturer?

Reaction score
Nope

It didn't have any download instructions. I just has a USB extention that I can plug into the computer.

I went to Computer, clicked on A: and then it slowly loads before asking if I want to format it. When I cancel it, the load stops.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
What's the name & model of the device?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
According to the product description, it only supports Win 98, 2000 Pro, ME, and XP. And at least one customer found that it destroyed two of his diskettes.

I suggest you return it; at any rate, it seems very unlikely you're going to get it to work with Windows 7.

Ask a Question