Wireless Issues with Windows 7

Reaction score
I have a HP Pavilion laptop. I recently installed Windows 7 Profession 64 bit (it used to have Vista 64 home edition). The wireless connection is slow some times...I get the internet explorer screen that say not connected diagnose or it will take couple of minutes to download a page (I have high speed internet). If I refresh it will load again. I get the same issue if I'm downloading anything on Itunes (v. slow). . Is this wireless drivers issue? If I have the Ethernet wire connected the internet works fine.
Can someone help.

Reaction score
Hi m_bj318 - Welcome to w7forums

Do you have any optional updates in Windows Update for network drivers?

Windows Update can correct issues such as this, if it's configured to look for optional updates.

We would need to know specifically which laptop computer or wireless adapter you have, before we could possibly locate a driver for you.

Reaction score
I have a HP Pavilion dv5 with following in Network Adapters: Intel Wifi Link 5100 AGN, Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter and REaltek RTL8168c(p)/8111C(p)

Reaction score
I just checked Windows Updater and there were some updates related to Realtek. So I'm installing them all right now

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Windows Updater works pretty good most of the time. However, it usually doesn't give the very latest drivers that are available. Most of the time the drivers are anywhere from 6-9 months old.

If you need the latest drivers for Realtek LAN chipsets then go directly to the Realtek website. Be sure you know which chipset it is that needs the drivers.

www.realtek.com.tw

Please note that the Realtek drivers are for your NIC or ethernet chipset, not the wireless LAN. For that you need the Intel drivers.

Go here for the latest Intel drivers: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...+Link+5300+and+Intel®+WiFi+Link+5100+products

Last edited:
Reaction score
So I updated drivers for Realtek and intel. But it still is slow. For example just now it took me 4 tries to load up this forum page.

Reaction score
Also every time I close the lap top it should go into sleep mode. But when I open the screen it will start to reboot and say windows didn't shut properly. I never had any issues with Vista. I have antispyware and firewall on this laptop and there are no viruses as everything else runs fast.

Reaction score
Slow internet, intermittent internet

I had a hard drive failure and after I replaced the hard drive and connected the wireless router and typed in the password I connected to the internet through the router but it was always slow and always intermittent. I went through all of the router settings and all of the windows 7 settings and couldn't find anything wrong.
Finally, it is always finally isn't it. I went into Network and Sharing Center and clicked my wireless connection which opens the Wireless Network Connection Status box. I clicked wireless properties which opens a Wireless Network Properties box Then I clicked the Security Tab. In the security tab There are Security Type and Encryption Type drop down menus. I knew my security type was WPA2 personal. and I knew that my Encryption Type was TKIP. But in the Encryption Drop down menu it read AES. I knew that was wrong so I changed it to TKIP. The next box is the Network Security Key so while I was there I checked to see if the security key was correct and it was. I hit OK and the screen did it update flash and I had high speed internet on my laptop.

Your router security settings will tell you whether you are using AES or TKIP and will give you your security key. I know this is an old post but it is what I ran into myself and it was new to me so I decided to post it here. I wish I could tell you how TKIP got changed to AES but I can't. I am sure someone brighter than me will be able to tell you.

Ask a Question