Wireless issues with home network

Reaction score
Have a Windows 7 desktop with which I installed the software for a Netgear A6200 wireless adapter – which is connected to my home network – the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router ( dual band).

The Router is rated (if that’s the right term) at 600 Mbps for 2.4 ghz and 1300 Mbps for 5ghz.

The Adapter is rated 300 Mbps for 2.4 ghz and 867 Mbps for 5ghz.

Our Internet service is supposed to be 25 Mbps down & 5 Mbps up.

My issues are :

1. My PC will only connect to one band at a time. I have tried to connect to both using the Netgear’s Genie app and the PC’s network ‘menu’.

Should both bands be connected at the same time?

2. The PC network screen & the Netgear’s Genie App both report the same speed information –which for 2.4ghz is 72 Mbps and for 5ghz is 54 Mbps.

When I perform a speed test (such as www.speedtest.net) it reports the speed around
26-31 Mbps down and around 6.76 Mbps up. Which is about what I get for my desktop downstairs that is wired to the router (is a windows 8 PC) and my iPad.

So, do I ignore the 72 & 54 reported speed by the App and my PC – OR should not the speeds be showing something say around 300 Mbps for 2.4 and 600 to 867 for 5ghz?

3. With say my Ipad – which is actually mobile – should it not be able to choose which band to use based on the speed and consistency at its present location in the house – OR like the desktop, can only connect to one band at a time?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I can answer some of your questions but I'm no network wiz so I can't answer them all.

Your computer & Ipad will only connect on one band at a time and depending on the Network Interface Card they have in them it may only be possible for them to ever use 2.4 GHz. If they are capable of using 5GHz, like the A6200 is, then they should negotiate the best connection with the router.

You actually have a simultaneous dual-band router, which is a good thing, that means some devices can connect at 5GHz and others that can only use 2.4 GHz can use the router at the same time; some routers limit all devices to one band at a time.

I have never liked the numbers I see on my wireless computer but Speedtest says you are getting the speeds your ISP promises so I think you are OK.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Dual simply means it supports the older 2.4GHz freq and the newer 5.0

Ask a Question