Wireless Adapters

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just bought an Acer Aspire M3400(basic model)and it has no network connection.I currently have a network setup and I have been advised that I need a wireless adapter-searching thru the net I have noticed that many adapters dont work with windows 7.Is it difficult to get an appropriate adapter and how do they work?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I would recommend D-Link wireless adapters. Very good, drivers are up to date and easy to configure.

Here is the one I would recommend, if you have an empty PCI-E slot in your Acer.

D-Link DWA-556 - Newegg sells it for $44.99 w/free shipping.

If you just have a PCI slot then this one is a good adapter:

D-Link DWA-552 - Newegg sell this one for $54.99 w/free shipping.

If you want to save a little money and still get a good wireless adapter check out this ASUS PCE-N13. Newegg has it for $29.99 w/free shipping. It's N capable too.

All of these get 4 out of 5 eggs in the customer ratings, which for wireless adapters is very good. I have never seen any wireless adapter get 5 eggs, probably because most who have issues installing them will give them 1 egg, not usually due to the actual hardware performance itself.

Reaction score
To make sure we are on the same page, is this your computer? - Aspire® M3400

I am currently using Linksys WMP54G IEEE 802.11b/g which works well with Windows 7 64-Bit. However the drivers needed to work with 64-Bit are not available from Linksys.

The point I'm trying making is that my card is an older wireless card and works just fine. I don't see having any troubles if you select a newer generation card (IEEE 802.11n). If you have any questions as to the card supporting Windows 7. You can always go to the manufacturer of the card in question and see what drivers available.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unless you have a wireless router to connect with, a wireless adapter won't be of much help. There is a RJ-45 LAN connection according to the specs Clifford linked, which means if your ISP provides a cable or DSL modem you can plug it in via a network cable (wired rather than wireless).

Most newer wireless adapters will be W7 compatible, simply read the box.

If you have a wireless router then tell us make & model.

Ask a Question