SOLVED wired vs. wireless install

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Sometime next week, I'm having my computer desk switched around, placing it where the entertainment center is. My wireless modem sits on top of it. Using my mother-in-law's computer, which is wired, she gets a more steady signal. Since my wireless modem has ports to plug it in, I'm going to give it a shot.

Will it make any difference regarding the type of modem is, as long as I have a connection to plug into. I want a more secure and steady signal for my desktop, while having wireless available for my notebook, as well as company that arrives with them.

Cat

Reaction score
Simply because I'm very well educated in wireless hacking/snooping methods, I really like running wired machines only.

WPA2 with AES encryption is quite secure but even that can be susceptible to monkey-in-the-middle type of attacks by an advanced hacker using any Linux variant. Running a RADIUS server to authorize wireless connections pretty much is extremely secure but the way I see it, you can't hack something wirelessly when there is no radio signal to hack.

Basically, I like knowing my data is going through wires instead of air.

To answer your question, no. As long as there is an unused available lan port, plug in and go!

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Cat - your wireless router should have 4 LAN wired ports on the back for ethernet cable connections. This is in addition to the wireless radio signal that's transmitted.

Just plug in your desktop to the one of the 4 ports on the back and you'll be good.

Reaction score
Basically, I like knowing my data is going through wires instead of air.
!
Question for you mate, how long can you have a Lan cable before it begins to affect signal?
I ask because I'm slowly doing home renovations and was thinking of running LAN cable and plugs to a couple of rooms in the house.

Reaction score
Good question. I used to work for UL as project manager in the Wire & Cable testing division.

Cat5, Cat5e and Cat6 all have a maximum length of 90 meters. It's really 100 meters, but I'll tell you 90 to be on the safe side. That's about 295 feet. Any longer runs would need a repeater, or fiber to be used instead.

There are "better" Cat5e and 6 that can handle quite more than that nowadays though I believe.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That would easily meet my needs. Thanks.
Just be sure your neighbor isn't home when you hook up to their system and be sure to bury the cable well. LOL! :creep: :flute:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the answers. Yes, there are four LAN wired ports on the back of the router, when Time Warner setup my service, the technician plugged in my notebook for a couple of minutes to configure the service for both computers. I still have the cable that he used, it was about 5 to 6 feet long, which will be plenty. I will install one of those line protectors (or whatever they're called) to prevent any voltage spikes from lightning from reaching my desktop.

The reason I want to do this is, years ago, Time Warner had a cable going to my TV, lightning struck, and my tuner was fried, requiring replacement. I believe that the grounding was inadequate, causing current to flow through the line. I was watching TV at the time it happened.

This is what attracted me to the newer computers with built in wireless. But as I've already said, I want security and a more stable signal. Wireless is convenient for ease of setup and all, but security is more important to me than portability. I'm not dragging a desktop from room to room.

Cat

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Today, my stepson and my spouse moved my room around, and for the first time ever, I have wired internet service. I didn't notice a speed increase, but I feel a lot more secure. When I'm wireless, I click onto the internet access icon, and can see at least a dozen connections at any given time. What amazes me is that half of them are unsecured networks, fruit that's free for the picking. I would never run a setup like that.

But my point is, if I can see them, they can see me too. That's what led me to go wired. Hopefully, there will be no loss in speed, but if it is, I can always use the wireless for downloading large files.

Cat

Reaction score
But my point is, if I can see them, they can see me too. That's what led me to go wired. Hopefully, there will be no loss in speed, but if it is, I can always use the wireless for downloading large files.
Not necessarily the correct conclusion at all. (I mean that in a cool way, as in learning etc...) The simple act of setting the router's SSID to be hidden will disallow anyone to sense your network's presence, without the use of Linux and hacking tools.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
One other thing I've noticed Cat, If you transfer files across your home network, it's faster to be wired. At my house wired transfer rates are about 6 times faster. I suppose it could be the quality of my wireless usb dongle that causes this but the difference is real.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Since going wired, I've noticed no speed increase at all, if anything, a decrease. But that's cable internet for you. A couple of months or so back, I was posting my speed problems. Sometimes it's fast, sometimes slow. Totally unpredictable. Even at 1AM, it's this way sometimes.

I've just learned to accept it. Why get all wound up when nothing's going to change? I took Nibiru's advice, getting technical service to ping the router when it stays slow, it helps. I'm not on here near as much as I was anyway, since my recent surgery, I just can't sit up long.

But if and when my health improves, I'm going to buy a new router. I would like a router that can pick up those "N" signals for my notebook, and keep my desktop wired into it. I have two "N" USB adaptors, if I need a faster speed for downloading, I can tap into that. One of them cost only $15, and is fantastic for it's price.

TorrentG, I'll have to check into what you're speaking of. I've heard that you can "hide" your presence, but never pursued it. I don't think there's no hackers in my nearby neighbors homes, but I've seen cars parked along the side of the road, using notebooks. Probably tapping into those unsecured networks.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Cat,
Please tell me you do run an password encrypted wireless router? You can improve your safety if you turn off broadcasting but you at least need to use it passworded. If you are running wide open it could be your neighbors stealing your bandwidth that would definitely slow down your connection.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, I've always ran with a password. Like I previously said, I'd never run unsecured. And unlike the procedure that Time Warner usually does, assigning your phone number as your password, I chose my own.

Two, when the router signal is being used, a light flashes rapidly, a dead giveaway that someone is connected to it.

I think that the age of the router has something to do with this. A few months ago, Time Warner went around distributing new Netgear wireless routers to all of their wireless customers. At first, it ran really good. But the chipset must have been defective, because it ran very hot, and was constantly dropping signals after about an hour of using it. They replaced it, but with a really old one. It doesn't even have a brand name written on it anywhere. Looks like it was pulled out of the trash bin. After a month of using it, the power cord went bad. I had a similar one that would work, and installed that one on it.

I honestly believe that I'd be better off selecting and purchasing my own router, that way I'll know what I have. True, it would be my responsibility of maintaining it, but I'd have peace of mind, as well as a slightly lower internet bill.

But I'm going to see how my health goes before doing anything. If I can only sit here for 30 minutes a day, there's no need to bother.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well we all want you to get better Cat. While you are stuck laying down you might look at getting the voice activation working - you just voice your commands.

Ask a Question