SOLVED WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service in Windows 7 not starting

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Windows 7 computer, and am not able to get my WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service to start. I have been trying to get my computer to automatically detect the network proxy settings. However, for some reason, there is an issue with it getting accepted, so I have tried to enable WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service. The error I was previously getting was Error 1068. But now, I am getting Error 1053: "The service did not respond to start or control request in a timely fashion".

Could I just get some guidance on how to solve this issue? Thanks.

Reaction score
I would think the first step here would be to post a link to an excellent piece of writing placed on the Windows Dev Center last year that explains the various aspects of this software:

Next would be to check to be sure that you are not running a proxy server on the your computer?

Finally, for this post, what information can you see in your event log that might be of help here?

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question