Windows7 x64 defaults to 32bit apps even when 64bit are available.

Reaction score
I bought my computer (refurbished) a couple months ago, and it had Vista Pro x64 & Win7 Pro x64 installed as a dual-boot. Having no use for Vista, I wiped the hard drive and did a new install of Widows 7 Professional 64-bit. Everything went smoothly during the install, and I've had no issues since.

I just recently realized though... If I double-click on a file to open it in either Internet Explorer or Windows Media Player, Windows will open the 32-bit program. Not the 64-bit.

Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Internet Explorer 32-bit version is the default browser for a 64-bit Windows 7 OS.

There is a 64-bit Internet Explorer in the Programs section from the Start Orb but there is no 64-bit Flash yet from Adobe so some web feature won't function correctly.

WMP is 32-bit and always has been according to my understanding of it.

Don't worry, you'll start noticing that the x64 version of Windows 7 is fast and the more you use it the more you'll like it, believe me.

Reaction score
OK, I understand that Internet Explorer 64 doesn't yet have 64bit plugin support.

But what about Windows Media Player?

I have both a 32bit & a 64bit version, so why doesn't Win7 64 use WMP 64 by default?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
WMP does come in both flavours.
Try this, from MS Technet.:

Back up the registry first!!

1) In the elevated command prompt, type unregmp2 /SwapTo:64 and press Enter.
If prompted, click on Continue in the UAC prompt.
2) Open registry editor:
(Go to start and type regedit.exe and press enter.)
3) Go to this location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\wmplayer.exe
4) In the right pane, right click on (Default) and click on Modify. By default this is set to the 32 WMP.
5) Type %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe.
6) Click on OK to apply.
7) In the right pane, right click on Path and click on Modify.
8) A) Type %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player .
9) Click on OK to apply.
10) Close the registry editor.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Why anyone would want to go to the trouble to use a 64-bit WMP is beyond my comprehension.

Windows Media Player is JUNK! Always has been, always will be. I use it to play a few avi files but other than that I never ever use it to play any audio music files because it's so limited and not very configurable.

Why isn't it shown as both versions on the program menu such as IE8?

Wouldn't it be easier to just go to: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player and use a shortcut from there?

Not trying to be a jerk just curious.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Why anyone would want to go to the trouble to use a 64-bit WMP is beyond my comprehension.
It's all those complicated mathematical calculations WMP performs.

Ask a Question