Windows7 hanging when shutting down applying updates

Reaction score
Whenever I shut down or reboot Windows7 I get a message that Windows is applying update 9 of 13, but the "update" never gets "applied" and Windows7 just hangs supposedly trying to apply it. Yet when I subsequently boot into Windows7 and look a Windows Update there are no important updates available, much less being applied.

Something is messed up. How do I fix this problem so that Windows7 does not attempt to apply a mythical 9 of 13 update, which does not exist, when I shut down, and hang my Windows& shutdown or reboot ?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Also make sure that you have stopped any programs that you started. Sometimes the update is is trying to get access to a files that another running program has a lock on.

Reaction score
Also make sure that you have stopped any programs that you started. Sometimes the update is is trying to get access to a files that another running program has a lock on.
Whenever I shut down or reboot Windows7 I get a message that Windows is applying update 9 of 13, but the "update" never gets "applied" and Windows7 just hangs supposedly trying to apply it. Yet when I subsequently boot into Windows7 and look a Windows Update there are no important updates available, much less being applied.

Something is messed up. How do I fix this problem so that Windows7 does not attempt to apply a mythical 9 of 13 update, which does not exist, when I shut down, and hang my Windows& shutdown or reboot ?

Windows7 has always taken ages to shut down for me. updates were not a problem. not anymore though. I've [removed by moderator] discovered most of my drivers were ancient. all were updated, and now the PC shuts down in 4 seconds. not sure if this helps, are your drivers up to date anyhow?
regards
sonny sac

MOD NOTE: avoid mentioning paid software or you could be banned for SPAM. The safest and most effective way to update drivers is to visit the manufacturers' websites and download them for free.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shintaro

Reaction score
You know you don't need some piece of software to update drivers. You could have done it without the paid software. And if you had of got stuck, you could have started a new thread.

We are here to help, for free.

Reaction score
You know you don't need some piece of software to update drivers. You could have done it without the paid software. And if you had of got stuck, you could have started a new thread.

We are here to help, for free.
my apologies. it is a paid software. I don't know if it was coincidental or not, but the system is now lightning fast since the driver update.
regards
sonny sac

Shintaro

Reaction score
No apologies needed.
I like to help people so that they keep their money in their pockets.

Ask a Question