Windows XP, RC and the Upgrade

Reaction score
So I am currently running Windows XP but I'm thinking about trying out RC to see how it runs on my machine. I have pre ordered the upgrade and I'm wondering will I have to uninstall RC reinstall windows xp unstall windows xp and then install 7. Or will the install of 7 and ask for the windows XP cd as validation.

Reaction score
Windows 7 will ask you for the CD as validation.

Reaction score
Windows 7 will ask you for the CD as validation.
not so many get a cd/dvd with vista on it with new laptops, i have the recovery disks, what to do if windows 7 upgrade asks for a cd?

Reaction score
You contact your OEM and see what they can do.

If you're on a Vista laptop, you can just upgrade Vista. Or you can use the clean install trick that came with Vista (that also works with 7) to get a clean install from an upgrade DVD.

Reaction score
You contact your OEM and see what they can do.

If you're on a Vista laptop, you can just upgrade Vista. Or you can use the clean install trick that came with Vista (that also works with 7) to get a clean install from an upgrade DVD.
im in europe and upgrade isnt possible, so the present operating system(vista) will be proof for the upgrade process to start

thanks for you reply

interestingly i am getting a free upgrade from acer because i bought the laptop after 26th june, so the win7 disk should recognise that i have an authentic vista

Ask a Question