Free Windows 10 Upgrade

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did anyone else get this appear after clicking the icon on the notification toolbar?

Windows 10 Upgrade.png

I'm reserving mine now :). If you do switch over to Windows 10, remember to check out our sister Windows 10 Forum.

Reaction score
It's more of a waiting list/queue than a reserve.

In my opinion the word "reserve" suggest there is a limited supply.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh yes, but that doesn't get people clicking if they don't think there is a rush ;).

Reaction score
Wow: I can not believe that Microsoft has stooped to such a new LOW.
Now they are using what I can only call malware to hock their products.
Mr. Gates must be hurting for money!!! LOL
I fixed this problem by uninstalling update KB3035583, that is where they
hid the little bugger. It will try to reinstall, just say no and hide the update.
RatboyRS.jpg

Attachments

Reaction score
Mr. Gates must be hurting for money!!! LOL
You say that after Windows 7 and 8 is being offered a free upgrade path to Windows 10, by which this update preps for! Where exactly is the logic in that statement?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's always money in some way or another. Even free it must save them or make them money in one way or another. Maybe it will save them the embarrassment of nearly nobody upgrading like happened before.

Either way, as I mentioned in my post of the optional KB update, I do not appreciate adware being dished out by Microsoft updates. Who knows, it may be a forewarning of how W10 will make money ... here are your weekly updates provided free by these commercials from our sponsors at xbox games ...

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Thank you Trainableman:

The reference to Mr. Gates needing the money was a JOKE!
I believe this OS10 give away is to test the waters to see how a new OS will be received.
Windows 8 & 8.1 in my opinion, were not well received. After developing an outstanding OS
like Windows 7, Microsoft decided to cut almost everything out of it, and make our PC's GUI
look and act like an apple iphone. In the past 40 plus years, I have worked in every OS Microsoft has produced.
For the most part it has been enjoyable with the exception of ME (That OS was sad) Sorry Mr. Gates but it is true.
In my humble opinion. Anyway my point is please do not hide adware in the updates for my OS, that really bugs me!!!
If I decide that I want Windows 10,
Then I will buy it.
TTFN;)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't mind them giving it away; it's great that they can. But don't slip ads into the software I paid for in order to push it.

Reaction score
You say that after Windows 7 and 8 is being offered a free upgrade path to Windows 10, by which this update preps for! Where exactly is the logic in that statement?

Reaction score
Microsoft is depending so heavily on Win10 repairing the damage caused by Win8.x, they're willing to give it away just to make it happen. Try to, at least. I think two things will happen. It will be a wonderful OS, even better than Win7, but people will continue to abandon Microsoft in droves.

Reaction score
It's always money in some way or another. Even free it must save them or make them money in one way or another. Maybe it will save them the embarrassment of nearly nobody upgrading like happened before.

Either way, as I mentioned in my post of the optional KB update, I do not appreciate adware being dished out by Microsoft updates. Who knows, it may be a forewarning of how W10 will make money ... here are your weekly updates provided free by these commercials from our sponsors at xbox games ...

I got ripped off for $150.00 because of a pop-up that said it was from Microsoft and I let them take command of my computer and they messed up my computer. I thought the pop-up was about the free upgrade to windows 10. So please be careful even a 70 year old man who have been using computers for over 35 years can and did get caught and now its to late.This was the first time I let my guard down so I am out $150.00 if not more.

thanks for your time.
gstrick

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
gstrict it sounds like you fell for a scam; what we are talking about here is not a scam, it is a legitimate offer from Microsoft. I'm not sure why you are out $150, but I suggest you completely reinstall your OS so you can be sure you do not have any of their malware running now.

Reaction score
And millions of us will get W10, online, all at once, tomorrow morning!

...and pigs will fly. I do look forward to it, but don't expect to happen instantly.

Reaction score
I heard a microsoft rep talking about Ver 10 on one of the Business channels
He came right out and spoke to monthly subscriptions stating that 10 was a way to get people into the idea of subscribing to things on a monthly basis.

Seems to me it's all part of that monthly subscription madness that is sweeping the software world.
Everybody wants you in for some monthly nut. It's a way to milk us for money stream.

Reaction score
It did happen instantly! In an email they sent is:

For PCs running Genuine Windows 7/8 – these machines qualify for a free upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows Update. (You can also do a media-based upgrade though the Microsoft Software Download site.)
And that led me to burning an ISO... now to install it on a separate partition.

Reaction score
No, as it turns out, W10 doesn't accept my W7 key, so I'm in a time window for this separate W10 to work, I guess. I think if I just install W10 directly atop W7, like most will, the numbers will transfer.

So far, I don't think replacing W7 with W10 is worth the hassle, at least on my ancient PC... but I probably will anyway someday.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The upgrade is only free for one year so be sure to install it by then.

Reaction score
Got the ISO, burned a disk, installed as dual boot. That worked three times but then froze on boot. Removed that and upgraded the normal way, from within Win7. It was all pretty quick and painless... still activated.

But so far, I don't see the point. It isn't faster, it uses more ram, it doesn't act better from any perspective. I may restore my most recent Win7 backup... at least I can get off the edge of my seat now.

Ask a Question