SOLVED Where do you buy fonts?

Reaction score
Hello:

Suddenly, I need two new fonts (Shalom Old Style and Sanvito) in order to change an existing pdf document (possibly after convertion to Word 2010). And then, I realize that I have no idea where to buy fonts? Are all sellers reputable, that is, have they the right to sell fonts? And a quick search on the Web shows that there are questions about font quality. Never thought about that.

So, I would like to ask if someone could give me a little help in finding a reputable seller.

Thank you!

Hans L

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is rarely a need to buy fonts as so many are available free. Besides that, most software will use a default you already have installed whenever you do not have the requested font.

The Shalom Old Style is attached. (Unzip it, then right-click on the TTF file and choose Install)

But for Sanvito you may need to be more specific as there appear to be numerous. Try the links HERE.
Download Fonts.jpg

Personally I would consider doing without a document rather than have to buy fonts to see it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
TrainableMan, thank you!!! Now, I downloaded Sanvito-BoldDisplay and Sanvito-Regular (the two others I need) from the site you gave me. They both saved as "Sanvito", so I renamed them as above. Then, I dragged them into ControlPanel -- Font. They are installed (I know, because when I drag them again, it says that they are already installed)), but not under their correct names. I do not seem to be able to see when they were added to the folder either. I cannot find them :-( Help!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The Font names are based on information within the file, not on what you name the original ttf file. C:\windows\fonts will show you the fonts you have installed.

I have never done it, but to edit the information I believe you can use a font creator/editor like FontForge.

Reaction score
I looked in C:\windows\fonts, but I cannot see which was the last font added to the folder, so I do not know which font 'my' Sanvitos are.

Now, I have looked at every single font in the C:\windows\fonts folder, and none of them is the right font (Sanvito). And, there is actually no reason why the name in this folder should not b "Sanvito".

I do not understand this? Do you, or anyone?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Find the ttf file you installed and right-click, choose Properties, Details Tab. The Title should show you the font name.

Reaction score
Find the ttf file you installed and right-click, choose Properties, Details Tab. The Title should show you the font name.
That is simply the file name. I know, because I changed it, and the change showed up there.

What I did in Control Panel – Fonts (same as C:\Windows\Fonts, of course) was to check every Bold; Regular to see if any of that combination had the same file name. None!

I also checked every Bold and Regular; Bold to see if it was Sanvito font. I can say for sure, no Sanvito font showed up. And "Sanvito" did not appear in the Name column.

Sanvito was installed but not visible. The files I downloaded from the site you recommended did not have the TTF extension, and when I opened them, they asks for the program to use.

However, when I added the extension .TTF, and I clicked, the Install button showed up, and when I clicked on it, it said that the font was already installed. I said "Overwrite!", and then, lo and behold, the font showed up with the name "Sanvito" and the Font Style "Italic; Bold italic". I overlooked the 'italic' all along, but somehow, that is what I downloaded, and it was the correct font style for the document I want to change.

I wrote down my entire process above just in case someone else have dragged a font into the font folder and the font does not show up.

Note: I just looked at my nightly imaging (of my two drives) from last night, and don't you know it, in Windows/Fonts, Sanvito shows up. But, for sure (I checked about a dozen times), it did not show up when I looked before I went to bed yesterday evening. Go figure!

TrainableMan, thank you for the tips and for making me go the extra mile and try various options. [And, incidentally, I have a friend with rails and trains in about 50 % of his rather large basement; impressive!].

Hans L

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm glad you got it worked out.

(My trains are all stored away and my layout is all in my head but this way they never derail and the wiring takes no time at all :) )

Reaction score
Open Fonts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Fonts. Click File, and then click Install New Font.

Reaction score
Open Fonts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Fonts. Click File, and then click Install New Font.
I have no "File" here.

Ask a Question