Searching file content using Sylfaen font

Reaction score
Hi,
My documents are written in Sylfaen font using WORD. When I use the search box in Windows Explorer to search for a word in the file, it does not find the file containing the word. I type the word to be searched in Sylfaen font also.
The strange thing is that when the name of the saved file is in Sylfaen too, my search gives results and finds the file containing the searched word. BUT if the file is saved with English name, then my search does not find the file.
I want to search and find my file containing the searched word written in Sylfaen and filename in English.
Any solutions?

I should add that I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and WORD 2013.
As a note, I also tried it in Windows 8.1 and it worked!

I ask your help pls

Thank you

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I believe it has to do with character encoding and Windows Explorer's failure to detect it. It's likely that it understands that it should interpret Sylfaen-titled files as UTF-8/16, but English-named ones it accesses as ANSI or something. In this case, what Explorer "sees" as it runs through the file is essentially gibberish, because the content is accessed with the incorrect encoding. Word on the other hand detects encoding by actual content so it does a better job of opening documents with different encoding standards.

This has probably been improved in Windows 8's search function.

However, this is an area where my knowledge is very limited. I don't know of any way to fix this in Windows Explorer, my only recourse would be to use a third party search tool, such as XSearch.

Reaction score
I believe it has to do with character encoding and Windows Explorer's failure to detect it. It's likely that it understands that it should interpret Sylfaen-titled files as UTF-8/16, but English-named ones it accesses as ANSI or something. In this case, what Explorer "sees" as it runs through the file is essentially gibberish, because the content is accessed with the incorrect encoding. Word on the other hand detects encoding by actual content so it does a better job of opening documents with different encoding standards.

However, this is an area where my knowledge is very limited. I don't know of any way to fix this in Windows Explorer, my only recourse would be to use a third party search tool, such as XSearch.

Thank you for your reply,
I tried on another Windows 7-64bit system, it worked fine in both languages!
Do you know how to solve this problem so that the encoding is accepted as it should?
Or maybe you can refer it to another moderator who can help.

Thank you so much.

Ask a Question