SOLVED Windows not Genuine, slightly odd issue

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Here's an odd thing that I've now seen twice on my machine. (For the record, I obtained my copy of Win7 Ultimate through the Windows 7 Launch Party and have had zero issues on activation or validation)

Yesterday, after bringing my machine out of screen saver mode (I do not use Sleep or Hibernate, just the standard go-to-black screen saver) I saw a little message printed on my screen that said:

Windows 7
Build 7600
This copy of Windows is not genuine

A bit perplexed, I opened my Control Center and clicked on System. The screen refreshed to show the Product ID and Genuine logo that was always there and at the same exact moment the "not genuine" message dissappeared.

I then went to the Microsoft Support site and grabbed a copy of the MGADiag.exe and ran that. It came back with a Genuine approval and I just left it at that.

Now, today, I again get the same issue...leave the computer, go to screensaver, come back to desktop with the "not genuine" message.

Again I do the navigation to System, the screen updates and the message dissappears. I then try going to the Microsoft Genuine site and grab WindowsActivationUpdate.exe and run that through. Again, it comes back with the you are using genuine windows bla bla bla

I am hoping this resolves this odd behavior but I get the sneeky suspicion that it's happening because of that Microsoft Update for sniffing out non-genuine installs.

Also, I just wanted to put this out as a heads-up in case others start seeing this behaviour too.

:eek::dontknow::eek:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've had odd behavior with my Latitude D610 concerning activation issues. It has been activated and validated numerous times, due to moving things around to make room (uninstalling and reinstalling). It passed the WAT update fine. But this issue has happened three separate times, once before the WAT update was delivered. I've left my laptop on while going out to smoke or grab something, and upon returning, my laptop was in activation mode, passed, and it was over. I've gotten to the point where now when leaving, I either put it to sleep or disconnect the internet signal. That stops it. I called Microsoft about it, the rep said that this wasn't the first report of this, but couldn't explain why it happens. I mean, when Microsoft doesn't know what would throw their software into activation mode, who does know? It's their software.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
After a bit more digging I found and tried the following:

1) Open an Internet Browser
2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.
3) Find the file CMD.exe
4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
5) Type: net stop sppsvc (It may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
Note: the Software Protection service may not be running, this is ok.
6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
8) Type: cd %windir%\system32
9) Type: net start sppsvc
10) Type: slui.exe
11) After a couple of seconds Windows Activation dialog will appear. You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key or Activation may
occur automatically.

I am still monitoring the situation and will mark solved if I do not see the "not activated" for a few days.

Ask a Question