Why am I now being told my copy of Windows 7 may not be genuine

Reaction score
I installed Windows 7 Home Premium on my laptop and used it for 2 months. I then went abroad for 2 months without my laptop. I have just returned to find I cannot use the laptop because it says my copy may not be genuine. I followed the instructions to go online to resolve the problem and download something to validate my copy. I was then directed to a page that said Windows validation was in progress and not to navigate away from that page. With nothing happening, after about an hour I tried refreshing the page and was directed to a page that said my product key was being used on another PC. This is not true so I went to contact support which involved typing in my product key. Upon clicking continue, it said there was a problem with the product key and gave me the option to go ahead without it. However, it turned out they wanted me to pay £46 for this option.

Can anyone help me get over this problem.

I am 100% convinced that my sealed copy of Windows 7 Home Premium is genuine.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You may need to contact MS support via telephone to get the situation resolved.

Your Windows 7 you purchased has the MS Genuine sticker with it? It should have had a C.O.A. sticker also enclosed with the 25 character product key on the sticker too.

The install DVDs have the holographic borders?

Reaction score
You may need to contact MS support via telephone to get the situation resolved.

Your Windows 7 you purchased has the MS Genuine sticker with it? It should have had a C.O.A. sticker also enclosed with the 25 character product key on the sticker too.

The install DVDs have the holographic borders?
It was a sealed copy complete with the holographic borders, MS Genuine sticker and C.O.A. but I will try and find a number to call and do as you say. Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You didn't state where you got it but I will warm you, and others, that that happens a lot if you buy off ebay. Personally I think it's sad how Microsoft's security can declare your installation as valid for 90-120 days and then suddenly tell you, oh hey, now it isn't. Often too late for an attempt to recover your money.

Ask a Question