SOLVED Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool-Access?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Every month, we get from Microsoft a Malicious Software Removal Tool. In my 32 bit laptops, I can gain access to it and manually run it through Revo Uninstaller. However, it doesn't access the tool in 64 bit Windows 7. We get this useful tool every month, but how do we access it without going through a third party program? And you can't even do that with 64 bit.

Reaction score
Maybe I'm mistaken, but it was my understanding that while it can be accessed and run manually, it's not necessary. I believe it runs itself, and notifies you if it finds anything.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
DallasDad is right, WMSRT sits in your system and does its own thing ... for the want of better words :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
elwinmc, Welcome to the forums! Your first post was very useful to me. All of these years, I've received this update and didn't know how to manually access it. Your explanation was the most simple, a child could follow it. Thanks again for the tip, hopefully it will prove useful to others, too. Hope you enjoy your stay at Windows 7 forums!

Reaction score
Keep in mind that MS updates the tool monthly. I do not believe that it runs automatically (unless you use Scheduler). So you may want to run manually periodically. I do mine every two weeks or so.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Keep in mind that MS updates the tool monthly. I do not believe that it runs automatically (unless you use Scheduler). So you may want to run manually periodically. I do mine every two weeks or so.
Yes, I know it is a monthly update. I run a full scan of my virus protection (MSE) every other day. I plan to run the Malicious Software Removal once a week. You can't be too careful when your security is at stake. I read a lot of tech and forum articles and once I clicked onto a virus at Tom's Computing Net, by clicking onto a link to help someone. I think it was a swizzer32 virus, I don't remember the exact name. But you get the point. On a forum to help others, someone leads you into trouble. That's why I want control over that Malicious Software Scan, in case MSE misses something. Thanks for your valuable input to my question.

Reaction score
First, thanks for the tip on how to locate MRT and run it manually. I'll start using that.

Second, did a bit of research on Microsoft's website and MRT does run once automatically in the background. But it's nice that you can manually run it additional times as well.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"Note The version of the tool delivered by Microsoft Update and Windows Update runs in the background and then reports if an infection is found. To run this tool more than once a month, use the version on this Web page or install the version that is available in the Download Center."

See full story here:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx

Ask a Question