SOLVED Windows Mail on 7

Reaction score
I’m a long time user of Outlook Express so was happy to get Windows Mail running on my new Windows 7 [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]PC[/COLOR][/COLOR]
. However a problem has now arisen. Since this months (May'10) [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Microsoft [COLOR=blue ! important]updates[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
have been installed. Windows Mail won’t open. Only by removing the updates & hiding them to avoid their re-install, can I continue using Windows Mail. Has anyone else experienced this (I already know two that have) & more importantly, found a cure?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the forums!
How did you get it on Windows 7?

I made a tutorial here on how to get it on 7:
www.w7forums.com/guide-windows-mail-vista-7-a-t5584.html

I haven't had any problems with it, as it is not a Windows 7 feature, so normaly it shouldn't have any problems with system changes.

By the way, whats up with the messed up BBCode tags.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
HI, Trouble came on after installing Win Updates in particular KB978542. Having let that install. WM wouldn't then open. I'm really disapointed as I found it perfectly OK & easy to use even with some 6 different accounts (unlike most other EM Clients I've tried). I'd sure like a way of fixing it........at present 1 machine (my laptop) has been restored to prior to the updates & the updates hidden so WM works on that. The other machine (No. 2..a desktop) has the upadates & WM won't open at all. I'm clearly looking for help so anything anyone can come up with, I'll try.

As to the formatting.....don't know although I did paste in my text from M/S Word so that may be the reason.normally doing that doesn't bring up code. Cheers David

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Wait a sec, are you talking about Outlook Express, Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail ?

Reaction score
Windows Mail. I had hacked it to work on 7.

Strange though... I uninstalled the update and it still doesn't work. What's weird is that it is running--because I can hear the new mail sound when I receive a message. I just can't open the window anywhere.

davidvh2, how did you get it to work again?

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Windows Mail... That's what I did as well.
Weird it was affected by updates, since it wasn't installed...

Have you tried compatibility mode for Vista?
That might work.
By the way, how did you "hack it"?

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
poopdaloop you're one heck of a sob.:D You cracked it!! Many MANY thanks indeed as it worked perfectly. Needed a restart. The WM wouldn't open at all; I changed the dll in the WM folder as you described & after the restart, I clicked on the WM icon. Didn't see anything happen for a few seconds but then Hey, it worked so I'm back in business with a smile as wide as they get.:beer: Thanks once again. No doubt about it, sharing information is the way to go.

Reaction score
poopdaloop you are the man, three post and you have already fixed a computer other than your own. :)

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Good one!
How did you find the answer?

Clifford, shouldn't this thread be marked as solved?

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Ask a Question