Windows Is 25 Years Old Today!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've only just spotted this now, Bugsy! Thanks :)

I remember using Windows 2.1, but that's the oldest Windows OS I've used. Incredibly, Windows 2.1 was supported all the way to 2001!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Interesting, until reading this I never knew there was a 2.1. When I worked at EDS in Detroit I remember moving up through the DOS iterations but the first Windows we had was 3.1, quickly upgraded to 3.11 for workgroups.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Windows 1.= Alot of fun after typing dos commands, but what a nightmare. More bugs than norton - lol.

Reaction score
Windows 1.= Alot of fun after typing dos commands, but what a nightmare. More bugs than norton - lol.
Can anyone say "I appreciate Windows for what it is today". :)

When faced with problems of today, we often forget what we had to work with in the beginning.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Compared to the pre-XP Windows, those other versions suffered quite a bit in user friendliness and stability.

With Windows 7, things really rock now! Windows 7 is the absolute best version so far!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
No other version of Windows comes close to 7, as far as ease of use, security, and most everything.

As far as when Windows began, I don't exactly know, but I do remember in 1984, when Windows was fighting like hell for a share of the market. I was very new to computers at that time, in fact didn't even own one. But my job (at that time) required me to use some form of a computer, I had to key in a long string of letters & numbers, followed by the packer's # and my #, and it printed a sticker to place on the cases when they were banded shut.

I believe it was some form of an IBM computer. BTW, where are they today?

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I thought I had read somewhere that IBM had to something do with Lenovo, this confirms that. So in a sense, they're still around. They did enjoy a long stretch, in fact, I didn't realize that computers existed that long back.

Most likely, as long as they don't screw it up, Microsoft will be here for generations to come. It would take a massive effort to even put a dent in their 90+% computer OS's & Office package usage.

However, I don't want them to close that less than 10% gap too much further, as that would only lead to further price increases for all of us. Plus, it's good to have a little competition, it actually helps to show that Windows is the superior OS over it's competitors.

Which are there, just not as popular (or affordable) to all.

Whenever it was, Happy Birthday, Windows!

Cat

Reaction score
without this post i would have never came to know that window is 25 years old from now and i have never used or heard of windows 2.1

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Makes you think! I am a (very) old man. And now there are at least, two adult generations who have known Microsoft Windows all there lives!!!

Ask a Question