SOLVED Windows Dvd Maker - "add music" button inoperable

Reaction score
I recently moved "My Music" folder to an external drive-----don't see any way to"Point" Program to new location----moved music back to original location, when I attempt to make a dvd from pictures and Music, the "add music" button doesn't work. How do I reinstall Windows DVD Maker??? It came installed on my HP Win 7 Computer. HP Tech support said I need to contact Microsoft. I don't have a Win 7 install disc to do a "Repair"???

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You can actually download and burn a DVD of W7 SP1. See this THREAD, but be sure to get the version that matches your version.

Have you already tried going to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features ... Turn Windows Features On or Off ... Then under Media features unselect Windows DVD Maker and Do you want to continue "Yes". Reboot if it tells you to then come back and turn it back on. See if that resolves anything. (It may not actually uninstall anything so this may not help but it's worth trying.)

Reaction score
Thanx, Trainableman,Yes,tried windows features on & off---several times------no help. Tried to download the W7 Iso, download wouldn't work---gave me a yellow bar at top of screen and when I clicked on "Download file", nothing happened. How about If I purchase Win7 Home Premium X64 Disc(My Current OS) at my local computer store and perform an In-place Upgrade?? My Win7 OS came with my HPcomputer, they haven't been able to fix it yet----------Will still try with them.

Reaction score
The problem is fixed!!!! I went to another computer with win7 and noted USER folder structure. I had located "My music" folder as C:\users\(name)\Music\My Music. Should have been---C:\users\(name)\My Music. I guess windows expected it to be there. After restructure, I used the "Turn on-off Windows Features, turn it off, rebooted, turned it back on, rebooted and it worked!!! How could you have know I didn't comply with the programs rules--or ME for that matter-just lucked out---Thanks for your help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out.

As for this ...
Tried to download the W7 Iso, download wouldn't work---gave me a yellow bar at top of screen and when I clicked on "Download file", nothing happened. How about If I purchase Win7 Home Premium X64 Disc(My Current OS) at my local computer store and perform an In-place Upgrade?? My Win7 OS came with my HPcomputer.
Sometimes the download file is blocked by the browser and you have to say yes download or it can be blocked by some add-ons. What you might do is try running the browser "with no add-ons" or you might try using a different browser just to see if you could download it. You already own it so I would not go buy another copy, you already paid for it and you just need to burn the DVD for a good back-up.

Reaction score
Trainableman---OOOps---------It's BAAAACK!! Don't know what happened--Don't remember doing anything wrong--BUT, Backed up to an Image so not to lose settings(2 different programs), made a few Videos(with Music), went to bed, woke up this morning---thought I had dreamt the whole thing---My Music folder has not changed location, but program is still not taking me to select Music files to make slide video with music. Restored both images, didn't help, feel like next step is consult psychiatrist. As far as "already own it" I don't have A "key" or Activation code, so the iso would only be the trial version. Came with computer.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Open windows explorer. Expand Libraries ... Music ... My Music. Right-click on My Music and choose properties. Select the Location tab. Click Find Target. Now point it to your music folder where you actually have your music (usually under C:\Users\(name)) and then click OK.

Reboot.

Come back to Windows Explorer and open libraries ... Music ... My Music. Are your song folders there or not?

If they are then try DVD Maker.
But if not then it's likely a registry problem.

Reaction score
Trainableman: I feel like a DUMMY!! Thanks for the solution!! "I THINK" what happened----I had filled the MUSIC Library previously as a solution, that's why it started working. I had made many changes, so LIBRARY was not on my mind. I don't remember, but apparantly I had restored an image with the Music Library Empty. When it didn't work the next day, I didn't go back to look at the LIBRARY. When I got your reply, I looked---and behold--it was EMPTY. Thanx again & Again. Wowwwww!!:D

Ask a Question