Windows backgound colour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is it possible to alter the folder window colour in win7. That awful white is not really easy on the eye and I would prefer it to be pale blue or green

Reaction score
I believe you're talking about the actual folder color, correct?

If so, there's a neat program called: Folder Colorizer. It's free and does a good job.

Go to: http://softorino.com/ and scroll down to the "Folder Colorizer" download section.

IF you want to the Folder Background color, then go here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-7-folder-background-changer-released
thanks for links but the background changer doesnt work for me and after visiting the 'windows club forum' and reading some of the posts about this app, Im glad it didnt work for me. It appesrs to be very unstable and I think I will give this one a miss

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Is it possible to alter the folder window colour in win7. That awful white is not really easy on the eye and I would prefer it to be pale blue or green
Since you refer to the "white" I'm assuming that you don't mean the folder itself.

And the answer is yes it's possible, but it invovles dll patching and aero.msstyle edits.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You might try this tool here ... be sure to get the right version depending on whether you have 32 or 64-bit W7.

Reactions: Ace

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You are correct; sorry I hadn't tried it myself. It appears the files have been pulled.

I was able to locate AvgFolderBG for 64-bit View attachment AveFolderBG W 764Bit changer (change Explorer Background).rar. If you need 32-bit then let me know and I can keep looking.

However I also found a small blirb about it may mess up Autohide if you have the taskbar set to Autohide. There may be other issues; perhaps that is why it is no longer there.

And there is a note included with the tool that says be sure to turn off shading before you remove an image or you will end up with a shadow.

Reaction score
You are correct; sorry I hadn't tried it myself. It appears the files have been pulled.

I was able to locate AvgFolderBG for 64-bit View attachment 3946. If you need 32-bit then let me know and I can keep looking.

However I also found a small blirb about it may mess up Autohide if you have the taskbar set to Autohide. There may be other issues; perhaps that is why it is no longer there.

And there is a note included with the tool that says be sure to turn off shading before you remove an image or you will end up with a shadow.
Thanks for finding the link and for the warning. I have recovery software so should be ok if things dont pan out well

Reaction score
Hi whatfor,

To customize a background color

Open Display in Control Panel.
On the Desktop tab, click Color to display the available colors.
Click Other.
In the Color dialog box, click anywhere in the color matrix on the right.
Drag the pointer in the color matrix to the right or left to change hue Drag the pointer up or down to change color saturation Drag the slider at the right of the matrix to change the luminosity
Once you have defined the color you want, click Add to Custom Colors and then click OK.

Thanks | see if this helps

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Robart, I do not see a Desktop Tab under Control Panel > Display. Is there a step missing?

CntlPnlDspl.jpg

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think Robart is referring to changing the screen background only. Quite a few wrong paths there, though! Right click screen - Personalise - Windows colour etc, is, I think, where he is intending to go?

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's under appearance and personalization in the control panel.
Personal Settings
- Change border colors - advanced settings

That last one pops up an XP style window where you can change fonts and colors for your explorer windows and the basic color of your desktop itself.

Reaction score
In Win 7, right-click on Desktop > Personalize > Window Color > Advanced appearance settings > Select Window from Item drop-down > Select white from Color drop-down > Save

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question