Windows Activation Client

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Today, while on my laptop that runs Windows 7 Professional (32 bit), for no apparent reason, my computer went into activation mode and within a few seconds, it showed me that it went through, and took me straight to the familiar Windows Genuine Advantage page. I opened my icon page, and there it was an option to display Windows Activation Client (that "genuine" symbol). I had already made my mind that having nothing to hide, I wasn't going to block this anyway. But there was no notice given, and my main PC (running Home Premium 64 bit) hasn't received the update yet. Was Professional targeted first, or does anyone know? Anyway, the update didn't affect my laptop one way or the other, that's the good thing. Microsoft said this would be ready this morning, and delivered it fast.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have no idea about that one! I chose to manually check mine by DL the update and running it.

I didn't think it was going to be automatic until later this month.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Like I said, the activation screen appeared, and the icon for WAC is in the place where you can choose to show hidden icons. I done nothing, the laptop was sitting on my recliner, I just came in from a smoke, and seen it. I looked for an installed update, but the system doesn't show one.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Mine shows the installed update, it's KB971033.

I think you had an event singularity and aliens did a whammy on your laptop. :eek:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Well, the icon is in there, I never noticed it before, and it's not on this desktop. That system was originally activated a while back. It has been reinstalled a couple of times, but not recently. Do you have that same icon among your list of hidden ones (that WGA symbol)?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Not that I can find anywhere!

I was testing a cool wallpaper... just wanted to share it.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You have not, by accident, perviously activated the Windows 7 Professional (32 bit on another computer - that would cause it? If you have, I understand MS are very considerate regarding the particular issue. A phone call should fix it. They have been having a large number of similar complaints from genuine customers, who were not aware that this could not be done.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
No, like I said, I did the original install, and it has been reinstalled twice. Really, the laptop is a playtoy at this stage in life. It has 3 OS's on it (Win 7 Pro / XP Pro / Win 2K Pro). I only use it when I'm in another part of the house, or outside. I had another one, but it died two weeks ago (Latitude C640). Guess I was too hard on it, it had 4 OS's on a 40GB (37.5 usable) drive, at one time.

Ask a Question