SOLVED Windows 7 Activation Client

Reaction score
Ok, how do I get this darn thing turned off so it doesn't pop up unannounced this is totally a breach of my privacy its like big brother snooping and it is wrong.:mad: My OS is legal the key is registered with microsoft there should be no reason why MS needs to monitor my pc unless they ask me and I give my permission. Its not that I mind its the principal of the fact that they are doing it with out letting me know first.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
So you did activate your product key and OS with Microsoft?

So if you type "acitvate" in the Start Orb's search bar you should see this:

If not then you're not activated.

You can activate through that window too if you're not activated.

Any problems from there call MS Tech Support

Reaction score
I typed in "activate" in start orb and windows activation window appeared same as your reply. so why then doe MS still intrude into my PC with out asking first.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That I am not sure of to be honest with you. Since Microsoft "licenses" the use of the program to the end-user, it's their right to check the systems.

When a user buys the operating system, they don't "own" it, they're buying the license to use per Microsoft's EULA (End User License Agreement).

Why don't you call MS Tech Support and ask them why you're still receiving the pop-up?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Nibiru is absolutely correct. Many Windows users feels that because they bought a Windows OS, they totally own it, and can do whatever they wish with it. How wrong they are. The only thing the user actually "owns" is the box it comes in. For $149, $299 or whatever, we are simply purchasing a license, which allows us to use the software as described in the EULA, which you must hit the F8 key to agree with the terms.

I'm not exactly fond of all the activation practices that goes on myself, but I've always agreed that activation is the right thing to do. But the extra measures, I've bitched, whined and complained to anyone who would listen. I've conceded my position, MS is going to get their way, no matter what. It's about to get worse, very much so. I have Windows 7 SP1 beta installed on my evaluation copy of 7. On the lower right hand corner of the main screen, your version of Win 7 is displayed, right above the date & time. Mine says, "Windows 7 Evaluation copy, Build 7601".

It's really not that bad. Everyone should rightfully pay for their version of Windows, and the measures that MS is taking is to prevent the unauthorized use of their software, not spy on us. Part of the reason software costs so much is due to pirates, just as higher prices we pay at the retail stores are in part due to shoplifters. The same thing with auto insurance, our premiums are higher partly because of the 15% or so who refuses to pay for it. While the freeloading will never totally stop, the measures being taken should at least stop the inexperienced pirates, and force system builders to provide a genuine copy of Windows to their customers.

That's all, no big deal.

Cat

Ask a Question