Windows 8 could be 128-bit

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Well, again if you install Photoshop CS4 onto a 64bit computer, it will install both 32bit and 64bit versions. Even if the plug-in only works on 32bit Photoshop programs, you can install it in the 32bit version of Photoshop even if it is a 64bit OS.

Both versions of Photoshop will be listed in the programs menu so users can select which they wish to start. Regarding Elements, I don't know if it offers 64bit or not but regardless it will include 32bit, which would be compatible with 32bit plugins and even 64bit OS's.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
So why are people having problems with CS on a 64bit OS ?, maybe there not using it right ?, it would be interesting to know why some say it works and others say there having problems.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I'm assuming because of different versions, I've not seen anyone state they specifically had an issue themselves with CS3 or CS4 and 64bit.

I bought Elements 4 in 2006, and they are already up to Photoshop Elements 8 today. I know Elements 4 won't work right on Windows 7 64bit, but the software isn't that old. I think Photoshop CS2 might have issues, that software predates even Elements 4 which had issues.

It just goes to show that if a program did have 64bit issues, switching to the latest version will usually solve them if the program is still updated.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You mean Win 7 is not quite a month old, they have a long way to go as far as 64 bit technology, and they are already talking Windows 8 128 bit? Are they crazy? They better hope that XP users will migrate to Win 7. It has been on the market since 2002, and many ( my laptops dual boot Win 2K & XP Pro) are still skeptical over Vista. Win 2K will be supported until 2010, XP until 2014. I never saw Vista, but I'm enjoying Win 7 (64 bit). They need Win 7 to be a long serving OS, like XP. By the time XP is no longer supported, it will have been on the market 12 years. Where it not for XP, Microsoft may not even be here today. They should support Win 7 wholeheartly, and not be discussing a new OS so soon. They have a good thing going on today with Win 7, they should stick with it, and not be like Linux distros, changing every 6 to 18 months.

Reaction score
You mean Win 7 is not quite a month old, they have a long way to go as far as 64 bit technology, and they are already talking Windows 8 128 bit? Are they crazy? They better hope that XP users will migrate to Win 7. It has been on the market since 2002, and many ( my laptops dual boot Win 2K & XP Pro) are still skeptical over Vista. Win 2K will be supported until 2010, XP until 2014. I never saw Vista, but I'm enjoying Win 7 (64 bit). They need Win 7 to be a long serving OS, like XP. By the time XP is no longer supported, it will have been on the market 12 years. Where it not for XP, Microsoft may not even be here today. They should support Win 7 wholeheartly, and not be discussing a new OS so soon. They have a good thing going on today with Win 7, they should stick with it, and not be like Linux distros, changing every 6 to 18 months.
I agree with you catilley. Windows 7 is a good system. The last time they replaced a really good system (XP) we got stuck with a flop (Vista). :(
I love Windows 7, so they're going to have trouble selling me on another new Vista adventure! Besides that, I don't see the need for 128 bit for anything short of rocket science. :lol:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
DallasDad, I'm glad someone agrees with me. I didn't get stuck with that Vista flop, because I was satisfied with XP and everyone I knew that had it despised it. XP was serving me well, in fact both of my laptops are still running it fine, along with Win 2K Pro. They are too old for Win 7. I still use them when I'm outdoors or when I go somewhere. This is a PC (my first), and it's a good one too. We don't need another new Windows at this time. The way the economy is, Microsoft (and the PC makers) better hope that there are more buyers like us to lay out the money for Win 7. Most old XP systems won't run it, they could upgrade, but by the time they did, it would cost less to buy a new system. I tell you, Win 7 is the best on the market today. Let's stick with what we have for a while and not flip flop too often.

Reaction score
Let's stick with what we have for a while and not flip flop too often.
I wish the automobile industry would listen to your words too. Mechanics is not that hard until you consider all the different style parts that does the very same thing.

I would hate to see the day that parts can only be bought from your computer manufacturer. It is bad enough that we are progressing so quickly and computers are outdated within a few years.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Yeah I know right? I believe one of my friends was talking to me about how every day we get faster in our technological development and it'll go on until the day comes where at the beginning of the day, we will be somewhere, and at the end of the day we will have moved forward further than we ever have in the computer industry. It's kind-of a scary theory, but like all theories, it might not happen. The other argument is that we will just come to a pinnacle in the industry and stop there. BORING! Haha well we'll see if we ever live to that day.

Reaction score
I agree with you all, however MS still need to improve their software. I would like to see them start from the bottom after Windows 7 has secured it's place as a reiable, international standard.

I think they need to take the next step and figure out how to incorporate Mac reliability with Windows versatility, compatibility and performance. If they could do that, they're onto a real winner!

Reaction score
Windows 8 - 128-bit. Thats got to be BS. When did 32-bit PCs come mainstream? 1989 or something?

Reaction score
I wish the automobile industry would listen to your words too. Mechanics is not that hard until you consider all the different style parts that does the very same thing.

I would hate to see the day that parts can only be bought from your computer manufacturer. It is bad enough that we are progressing so quickly and computers are outdated within a few years.

About that, Sony does that already. Fans, PSUs, HDDs, ODDs, Screens, nearly every part of a Sony laptop and desktop is proprietary.

Reaction score
First of all someone would have to tell me the advantages of 128bit over the 64bit before I would even consider the 128bit. I am still currently 32bit and switching to 64bit. I see no reason why 64bit will not be all I need in the next few years to come.

After all what is the maximum memory for the 64bit anyway (2 ^ 64 = 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 //// 18,446,744 TB of Memory).

Other than memory issues what other advantages would there be to a 128bit OS?
besides server applications in super computers nothing. but the W8 leading to a 128bit systems means there has been a major break through in a Quantom computer especially adapting it to a analog computer liek our 32bit and 64 bit systems........

the 128bit system is only seen in GPU's and servers from my experience so far. to see a 128bit processor would be nice. does any one have any specs on a 128 bit computer ?

another reason for a 128bit computer owuld be a media server streaming to 10 computers at once other then that the proc speed and capabilities no average user would ever max out the peformance of lets say a 3.2Ghz 128Bit system with lets say 8Gigs ram and a 2Gig video card........... there is nothing a single ( average user not liek some of us Technophiles) user could possibly do to use the system at full function

Reaction score
I can't wait for 1million bit. I hear, your computer will load in less then a 1/16 of a second and Bill Gate's personally jumps out of you PC's screen, slaps you in the face calls you a bad name, then disappears into a vortex of whimsical alien computer black mass.

It still saddens me that 64 bit has been out for how long now, and it is just now becoming more and more of peoples everyday live's. It's like knowing about automobiles for years and years and saying," Wait what? Get to somewhere quicker? Why on earth would I want to do that?".

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I can't wait for 1million bit. I hear, your computer will load in less then a 1/16 of a second and Bill Gate's personally jumps out of you PC's screen, slaps you in the face calls you a bad name, then disappears into a vortex of whimsical alien computer black mass.
:lol: :lol: :lol: thats worth a thanks :D

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
mattweed9, you're right. 64 bit has been here for so long, yet we have so few programs to take advantage of it. And some of those that are available are being complained about. After all this time, why don't we have an Adobe Reader in 64 bit?

Reaction score
All this complaining about 64-Bit browsing not supporting flash. Really what is there to gain by using a 64-Bit browser? What difference does it make if your computer can process a browser window quicker when it is handicaped by ISP bandwidth? Thats about the same as having a sports car that has a governer under the hood regulating the RPM,s and speed. Unless you have a super fast internet connection it really doesn't matter if you use 32-Bit or 64-Bit.

Reaction score
If 64-bit is such an obvious move, why is it taking the industry so long to catch up with the infrastructure. Imagine not only a new and faster car, but one that could only use compatible fuel. So it's more than just sticking up the bit-age. However, I'm getting plain sick of winXP and 32-bit anything, hence my latest, and of yet, unsuccessful, venture into Win7 x64, and my discovery of this forum.

I do find it funny that GPUs are moving up the bitscale so quickly.

Reaction score
GPUs are actually much more powerful than central processors, but their made in such a way that they cannot be converted into CPUs, although I have heard talk that nVidia are giving it a shot.

Despite everything, I think if everyone got Windows 7 64-bit and Office 2007 then the world would be a better place. That way, people would stop whining about compatibility issues and the like. too many people get attached to things and then refuse to move on because their scared of what the future might hold.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Sycthus, I have both programs that you're talking about, but have found so far that 32 bit programs are more plentiful and have more features.

Ask a Question