windows 7 x64 RAM usage problem

Reaction score
pls help a noob here. I am new to windows 7 and 64 bit OS machine. i've been doing my work (graphics artist) on a windows xp 32 bit for almost 5 years now and for some generous research reading forums on the net, i'm convinced that 64 bit OS is better for my line of work. after earning enough "pesos" i was able to buy a new machine with the following specs:

GA-G31M-ES2L Gigabyte motherboard (capable of up to 4gig RAM) (x64 compatible)
intel core 2 quad 6600 2.4 gigahertz processor (x64 compatible)
NVIDIA 9500 GT ddr2 1Gig graphics card
1 terabyte WD SATA hard drive
4 gigabyte kingston ddr2 pc800 RAM (2 gig in each module)

aside from that i bought a genuine windows 7 ultimate 64 bit OS (hoping that my "rendering time" will be reduce by at least 10 to 15 percent) and i downloaded a trial version on Adobe CS5 from the internet. (knowing that guys from adobe intentionally created CS5 to work better on a windows 7 64 bit system.)

here's the problem:

after installing a fresh copy of windows 7 with all its proper 64bit drivers, i immediately rated its "windows experience index" and got a base score of 4.6 and my MEMORY OPERATION PER SECOND scored a 7.1 rate. the properties window also showed that my installed RAM is 4.00 Gig with 4 gig usable RAM.
but after installing adobe CS5 and 3D studio Max 2011 x64, the windows experience index suddenly needed to be refreshed. and when i clicked on refresh, the MEMORY OPERATION PER SECOND rate drastically dropped to 5.1 and the properties window showed that i only have 3.25 gig RAM usable. WHAT THE HECK IS THIS??? this is like using a 32 bit OS AFTER ALL! Did i just waste good amount of cash with a machine much like my old 32 bit XP sp2???? pls enlighten me with this... im such a noob when it comes to windows 7...

Reaction score
It probably did the Winsat when something using resources was also running.

Reboot and re-run the WEI update when you can confirm that no resources are being used....like in the task manager when the cpu is at or near idle.

You can also open an elevated command prompt and check the memory bandwidth by using this command:

winsat mem

You can run that one after another and keep checking if you wish.

Reaction score
i have no idea what a winsat is...

dear sir, can you please explain further? many thanks....

Reaction score
Sure.

Hit the Windows key + Pause key at the same time. That will bring up the screen where you can re-run the WEI (Windows Experience Index) benchmarks.

But before launching the WEI updater, open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Escape) to make sure on the performance tab that the cpu usage is less than 5%, steady.

Reaction score
same as usual...

dear sir, i followed your instruction but im still getting a 5.1 RAM rate and 3.25 usable RAM.. i only have 2 software installed, 3Ds max 2011 x64 and adobe CS5. no antivirus or anything, just the two. and i even stopped the process related to the the software installed on the task manager. BTW im using my laptop now for this forum. im a bit confused:dontknow:

Reaction score
I suppose it's worth checking in the system bios for the setting called "memory remapping" to be set to on, if it exists.

You can get to bios usually by repeatedly hitting the delete key at system power on.

Perhaps it would also be helpful to download and install CPU-Z. Then show us screenshots of the spd and memory tabs.

Reaction score
to no avail...

dear sir, i enabled the memory remapping on my system BIOS and i "disabled" the integrated graphics because according to some threads, it also eats up memory. i reboot my system and did a WEI but still only 3.25 RAM usable..

Reaction score
See if there is a memory hole setting in bios. Enable that as well.

OR

Leave the integrated video disabled, and try also with memory remapping disabled too.

Reaction score
thanks anyway..

dear sir, in my long years of using windows, i really cant help but wonder how an initial MEMORY OPERATION PER SECOND sub score of 7.1 suddenly dropped to 5.1after only installing 2 softwares. without even messing the bios. i'd rather do a fresh install.. maybe somewhere along the way, i managed to corrupt my installation. tsk tsk. anyways, thanks a lot Sir. i'll post a new thread is something positive will happen after fresh install. God bless.

Ask a Question