Windows 7 - Video/Audio/network issues

Reaction score
Back again. I have three separate problems but I thinking they are related to hardware.

Computer: Acer Am3100-U3201A
Motherboard: Acer F690GVM
BIOS: Phoenix Tech 6.00 PG (10/10/2007).

I have downloaded and installed all the updated drivers for the components in question and none of them work. Could it be a BIOS/motherboard issue?

The three problems are:

1) NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
If I enable this, my system hangs at the Windows Start Screen

2) Marvell Yukon 88E8056 ethernet card
Never got it work after trying every solution on the web.

3) RealTek High Definition Audio
"No Audio output device is installed"
Windows was trying to install this as Unimodem Half Duplex Audio Device. After screwing around I manually installed it as the Realtek device.

Since none of these are working I am thinking there is a root cause to all the problems?

Any ideas?

thank you

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Your BIOS Firmware is over 3 years old!

You MUST update the BIOS to the latest version dated: 3-16-2010 Version: R01.C0 Size: 1.5 MB

Here's a download link for you from the Acer Europe website: http://global-download.acer.com/GDF...=Aspire M3201&OS=V10&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=EMEA_27

There is a PDF file in the ZIP file download to tell you how to flash the BIOS. It gives both the DOS method (safest and most reliable) or the Windows method.

After your BIOS is updated and such, go into the BIOS and choose "Optimized Defaults" and then reboot.

Also it is HIGHLY recommended that after doing a motherboard BIOS firmware update that you do a clean or custom install of your Windows 7 again. The operating system will run smoother and such since there may be driver and hardware issues that were corrected and/or resolved by the BIOS update.

Last edited:
Reaction score
THIS! solved all the issues.

Could someone please explain to me how or why this would have solved the issues. I have been dealing with this for almost a week now

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-hardware/35730-windows-7-64-bit-issues-sound-video.html
:WORKAROUND:

You can use this as a temporary work around until it is resolved by MS or Realtek, without removing memory (RAM) physically (which also resolves this problem).

1) Uninstall all Realtek Drivers
2) Uninstall the High Definition Audio Controller under Device Manager > System Devices
3) Run MSCONFIG from Start Menus
4) select the boot tab
5) select advanced options
6) under max memory select 4095 (or any value under 4 GB is fine IE anything less than 1024 * 4)
7) Restart Computer
8) Go into audio preferences and set whatever device you are using as Default (usually this will be Digital Audio (S/PDIF (High Definition Audio Device)

9) Enjoy working sound!

Reaction score
Your BIOS Firmware is over 3 years old!

You MUST update the BIOS to the latest version dated: 3-16-2010 Version: R01.C0 Size: 1.5 MB

Here's a download link for you from the Acer Europe website: http://global-download.acer.com/GDF...=Aspire M3201&OS=V10&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=EMEA_27

There is a PDF file in the ZIP file download to tell you how to flash the BIOS. It gives both the DOS method (safest and most reliable) or the Windows method.

After your BIOS is updated and such, go into the BIOS and choose "Optimized Defaults" and then reboot.

Also it is HIGHLY recommended that after doing a motherboard BIOS firmware update that you do a clean or custom install of your Windows 7 again. The operating system will run smoother and such since there may be driver and hardware issues that were corrected and/or resolved by the BIOS update.
May I ask how you found that link. I've been looking for an updated BIOS.

When I go to this Acer Europe Site http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/desktop/aspire_m3100.html
I don't see there version you linked to

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
It took some searching and looking but I found it.

It just takes persistence sometimes

Reaction score
It took some searching and looking but I found it.

It just takes persistence sometimes
Looking at the link you posted, it seems that it is for the AM3201. I was able to find updates for that but not the AM3100. Will it be compatible?

thanks

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Well I used your model you posted:
Computer: Acer Am3100-U3201A
The suffix U3201A is not the model, it's the suffix of the AM3100.

However I'll do some more checking just to be on the safe side.

It is the Acer Aspire M3100 correct?

EDIT:
I see now what you're talking about, I must have clicked the wrong option at the ACER website. My bad... sorry. :eek:

I have noticed that the motherboard for your model is used on several Acer machines, from the M1100 up to the M5100. I also noticed the motherboard is made by ASUS.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well I used your model you posted: The suffix U3201A is not the model, it's the suffix of the AM3100.

However I'll do some more checking just to be on the safe side.

It is the Acer Aspire M3100 correct?

EDIT:
I see now what you're talking about, I must have clicked the wrong option at the ACER website. My bad... sorry. :eek:

I have noticed that the motherboard for your model is used on several Acer machines, from the M1100 up to the M5100. I also noticed the motherboard is made by ASUS.
Thanks for the taking the time to help.

On a downside, the work around that I am using limits the memory usage to 3.25 GB even though I have 4 GB and am using Windows 7 64-bit.

If I don't use the work around, those devices (audio, video, ethernet) don't work but I can access the full 4 GB of memory.

Reaction score
Go into the bios and enable memory remapping. Save.

Issues solved the "real" way.

Then undo what that post showed you to do.

Reaction score
Go into the bios and enable memory remapping. Save.

Issues solved the "real" way.

Then undo what that post showed you to do.
If only it was true :)

The option I have in my BIOS is Memory Hole which was disabled. When I enable that and eliminate the work around, I loss access to the three devices. :(

Reaction score
Memory hole is for old ISA cards and you sure don't have any of them. That should remain disabled. Look some more in the bios for memory remapping.

If you don't find it but find another memory setting that is disabled, tell me what it is.

Reaction score
Anyhow, yeah...I've been up for too many hours....lol

You're only supposed to have 3.25 GB and things are well. Your devices that are working now are using the rest of the memory and that's how it is supposed to be. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But there probably is a bios setting anyhow that would have made that "tweak" unnecessary.

Reaction score
Anyhow, yeah...I've been up for too many hours....lol

You're only supposed to have 3.25 GB and things are well. Your devices that are working now are using the rest of the memory and that's how it is supposed to be. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But there probably is a bios setting anyhow that would have made that "tweak" unnecessary.
I looked and could not find any other memory setting :(

But I do believe I should have a access full 4 GB - because when I don't do the work around it says I have 4 GB. Isn't that one of the benefits of 64-but that you can access more than the 3.2 GB.

But as you also pointed out - I have a three year old $450 system that is working fine, running Windows 7 64-bit so at this point I am going to consider myself lucky.

But it also seems that a BIOS update from Acer would be a nice but I know that is never going to happen.

Ask a Question