Windows 7 Upgrade... Worst idea I've ever had!

Reaction score
Here's how I see it:

If you are an experienced user that knows how to get out of problems, and also have a "good" working OS to start with, then upgrade is alright.

If you don't know how to sort issues and your current OS may have a problem or two here or there, clean install is the way to go.

Ya, I can attest to upgrade problems for sure. I posted about mine going to SP1 on my machine here. I sorted it all out and everything has been perfect now.

Reaction score
I would never EVER do an OS upgrade. I guess people think with an upgrade they'll save a couple bucks and/or save a little time by avoiding the Clean Install. Instead, all they end up with is a bunch of problems.
I wish MS would just eliminate those upgrades, they're just a PITA.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Me, neither. I've never done a Windows upgrade, but have done two in place Linux (Ubuntu & Mint) upgrades. They download & install like a service pack. On the surface, it sounds good, but why go through this trouble when they are free to begin with? A clean install gives you about 300MB more in disc space, plus it runs so much better.

The same way with Windows, a clean install is the only way to go, unless you really know your way around.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
This is one of the main reasons everyone should do a clean install of Windows 7.

Click this link: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...indows-7-upgrade-worst-idea-ive-ever-had.html and read about this poor fellow's experiences.

How many times have we all seen similar posts on this forum? Too many, I grant you that!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... :pcguru:
Agree %100
This is one of the main reasons everyone should do a clean install of Windows 7.
many many times in my workshop we have had to sort out the mess of upgrade with a clean install ... and we will have many more.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Agree %100 many many times in my workshop we have had to sort out the mess of upgrade with a clean install ... and we will have many more.
I'm sure you will, Veedaz! The only upgrade that I'd consider is the Windows Anytime Upgrade, that doesn't screw up anything. But, installing one OS over the other w/o formatting, that is the worst thing you can do.

Oh well, I'm sure it's good for your business!:D

Ask a Question