Windows 7 upgrade to Win 10

Reaction score
I have a laptop with Win 7 Home currently running BUT I did at one time (in the early days of Win 10 upgrades) download and instal Win 10. But was not impressed at that time and reverted to Win 7 a few days later - an option that was then available.
However, I now wish to re-install the Win 10 upgrade (followed by online updates) and presumably still have the files somewhere on my computer to do this.

Simple question (I think) is how to do this?

Thanks in advance to a successful upgrade.

Reaction score
Very interesting timing with this request, because ZDNet published an article a little over a month ago on a topic that might be able to help you:

Reaction score
Thanks Delving.

If I download the correct Win10 ISO and placed it on a CD/DVD do I run it from there or use the CD/DVD as a boot disc (yes, the laptop does have a CD/DVD playe built in)?

I do not wish to do a 'clean install' - only an upgrade and will it give me this choice?

Thanks for further help.

Reaction score
Ivr181, you'll please forgive me, but I am somewhat confused by your use of the vocabulary "upgrade" and might should ask what exactly took place back a bit when you "reverted to Win 7" -- and I mean, did you have a partitioned drive with the 10 OS remaining on the drive along with the 7 OS?

Reaction score
When Win 10 was first offered to upgrade/update (not a fresh install) from Win 7, 8 & 8.1 I carried out the upgrade but was not happy with what I saw. Was given the opportunity (within a short period of time - a few days/weeks?) to revert to Win 7, being my original o/s, which I did. Now, after many reiterations of Win 10, happy to update again - but not a clean install. In the meantime, I read somewhere that the original folder holding the Win10 files would have been deleted from my system, so I now need to start all over. The only partitions on the hard drive are a "Recovery" and a "HP_Tools" paritions for Win 7, NO Win 10. You're talking to an elderly guy here, so if my tech parlance is wrong I do apologise.

Reaction score
Apologies that my memory doesn't work so well sometimes --- there's an age factor with me, also --- anyway, you finally jogged my memory and that was the Insider Program, or something like that. I had my fingers into something of that, but those notes are on another unit and might not be so helpful, anyway.

But what you have done is made me remember that the 'How-to Geek' site put up an article last year on somewhat in the area of what you are asking about and I just found it:

Let us know if that helps you out, because then others will have an answer, if others are wondering about the same thing.

Yep, that Insider Program. That went on for about a year, if my memory is working correctly. That was why they used that vocabulary "upgrade" because they actually were upgrading. And often. 'Build Numbers' I think I remember. Funny though, I can't remember how long ago that was.

Reaction score
I installed Win 10 a month ago. Here are some steps that you can use.
First of all, you should download some media tools from Microsoft. Then you can upgrade Win 10 there. In the end, you can test it.

Ask a Question