Windows 7 upgrade to full version trick

Reaction score
With Windows Vista it is possible to buy the Vista upgrade disk and do a clean full install. Microsoft obviously programmed this to be possible. Do you think it will be the same for windows 7 upgrade disk?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think we'll know details like this until Windows 7 is launched and people have the RTM to test out. I'm not sure why people were able to install a full version of Vista when using the upgrade CD without having an old product key (which I guess is the trick you mean?), but as far as I know they didn't remove this in later editions - so it could well exist in W7.

Reaction score
When i installed XP Professional on my PC a couple of years back, i upgrade installed it, with nothing on the hard drive. So it was a clean install, but used the upgrade install cd. Oh yh and i had to prove that i had a previous version of windows, so i put in W95, lol

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
When i installed XP Professional on my PC a couple of years back, i upgrade installed it, with nothing on the hard drive. So it was a clean install, but used the upgrade install cd. Oh yh and i had to prove that i had a previous version of windows, so i put in W95, lol
You'll still be able to do a clean install as long as you've got an old MS OS to upgrade from (probably XP/Vista) - but there was a way with the Vista upgrade DVD to actually install the full version without owning an old version of Windows. I think this could be what the original poster means, but I'm not sure.

Ask a Question