SOLVED Windows 7 upgrade concerns

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I noticed a program on my PC that will allow me to do a 10 minute upgrade. Through my 10 Windows years, beginning with Win 2K Pro, I've always preferred pro over home versions, because of extra programs and enhanced security over home versions. I'm currently running Win 7 Home Premium, but would like to upgrade to Professional. Now from what I understand, this is supposed to be a simple download from Microsoft, with very little interaction on my part (except paying, registering, etc.). Is this upgrade worth it? They offer specials all the time for this service, and it's different from buying from the stores. They make it sound simple, just pay, and in 10 minutes you're upgraded and ready to run. Is there anyone out there who has done this? And is it painless as they say? Will my PC specs come into play? I've only had it for a week tomorrow. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as online upgrading is new to me.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Hi catilley1092, you may want to take a look here : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/compare

There are 2 possible upgrades, you can go to Professional or to Ultimate. If you choose Pro, you are only gaining 3 extra features.

1) Run many Windows XP productivity programs in Windows XP Mode (separate download).
2) Connect to company networks easily and more securely with Domain Join.
3) In addition to full-system Backup and Restore found in all editions, you can back up to a home or business network.

If you are not going to use any of these features, then upgrading to Pro would be a waste of money (in my opinion)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've made my mind up to stay where I am. I have read that these online upgrades leaves stuff scattered throughout your system, and that they aren't quite the same as a clean upgrade or install. Too, it may be a part of Windows 7 or it may be an HP program that came with my PC, but part of my drive is for backup. I made an emergency boot disk from it. It also allows you to go back to the factory image, if I need to do so. If I did that, what would become of my online upgrade? Sounds kind of sticky, doesn't it? I have the ability to restore my PC to like new. I'm leaving everything just like it is, and also it's not worth the price. When my laptops are gone, then I'll get Pro on that.

Ask a Question