Windows 7 upgrade, 32 or 64bit?

Reaction score
Hi all

I've done a search of the site and found lots on 32 vs 64 bit, but can't find what I'm looking for (I think the packages available from microsoft have changed which doesn't help).

I'm about to buy Win 7 Pro Upgrade Edition (student version), and have to choose between 32 and 64 bit. I will install this on an aging PC - Intel Core 2 Due E6600 2.4Ghz, 2 or 4gb ram (not sure, haven't got it yet)

In the short term I imagine 32-bit would be the most sensible, but I'd definitely like 64-bit for the long term, because I will either buy more ram or build a new PC, and I use Adobe Lightroom a lot (which I believe would benefit from extra ram and 64-bit). I'm not really worried about other software, my old printer may be the only problem (Canon MP600).

So...
once you buy a particular version (no. of bits), are you stuck with it, or can you change it?
if you are stuck with it, I guess I have to go 64-bit, and use the XP mode for anything I'm having trouble with, because I'm sure I will want 64-bit in the future.

Thanks

Reaction score
If 2 GB ram, install 32 bit.

If 4 GB ram, install 64 bit.

2GB will be a little low for 64 but will surely work well still, if you absolutely want it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. But if I have 2gb and buy the 32-bit version, what happens when I upgrade the PC. I don't want to have to end up buying both versions.

Reaction score
The same key works for both 32 and 64 bit.

If you install 32, you'll then need a clean install to install 64 bit later on. You can not upgrade install from 32 to 64.

If you purchase a physical 32 bit disc and need to install 64 later on, you can download 64 bit, burn to an .iso, clean install and use the key you already purchased.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hi Trggaaar! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website!

You can install the 64-bit with 2GB of RAM with no problems at all. I have done it on several installs for clients and friends and it works just fine. It may be not as "perky" as with 4GB of RAM, but it runs just fine so don't worry about it.

There are 64-bit drivers for your Canon MP600 so that need not be an issue for you.

Go here to verify: http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010396.asp

In addition, there is NO REASON not to go to a 64-bit operating system if you hardware is capable of it. Then when you add more RAM later on you'll be rockin' and rollin'!

The product key you receive should work with both versions though.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
My feeling is more 1GB go 32-bit (my nephews laptop came with W7-64 pre-installed on 2GB RAM and works fine). If you require an old 16-bit program and can't utilize a virtual PC environment then go 32-bit. If you have hardware that does not permit 64-bit or does not have 64-bit drivers go 32-bit.

Otherwise 64-bit is the future; use it and never look back.

Reaction score
Thank you all very much for such speedy responses.
If you purchase a physical 32 bit disc and need to install 64 later on, you can download 64 bit, burn to an .iso, clean install and use the key you already purchased.
Ah that's good, thanks. Since I know 64bit will be my future, I'd like to get the 64bit disc - from reading the other comments, I think I might as well just install that, but if it's too slow could I download 32 bit, burn to iso and clean install with that?

There are 64-bit drivers for your Canon MP600 so that need not be an issue for you.

Go here to verify: http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010396.asp
Thanks for that, very helpful

Reaction score
It probably wouldn't be too slow. Just might be dumping more data to the page file than normal, slowing down the system temporarily while doing so and while reading from the page file itself instead of physical ram.

Reaction score
Windows 7 Upgrade Version comes with 32 bit & 64 bit DVD-Rom's together in packaging

If your computer has 4 gigabytes of ram go with 64 bit Windows 7. The upgrade version comes with both a 32 bit disk and a 64 bit disk. The only one's that don't have both disks are OEM versions. Stay away from OEM versions for Windows as they can't be used on another brand motherboard or another computer down the road. Before installing Windows 7 64 bit go to Microsoft's Download Center and type Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor in the Search box at the top of the page. Download it and run it. Then make up your mind on 32 or 64 bit by what the report says. Also, if you do go with 64 bit, do yourself a favor ahead of time and download 64 bit drivers for your printer, motherboard and other hardware and put them on a flash drive. That one step will save alot of headaches down the road.
Hi all

I've done a search of the site and found lots on 32 vs 64 bit, but can't find what I'm looking for (I think the packages available from microsoft have changed which doesn't help).

I'm about to buy Win 7 Pro Upgrade Edition (student version), and have to choose between 32 and 64 bit. I will install this on an aging PC - Intel Core 2 Due E6600 2.4Ghz, 2 or 4gb ram (not sure, haven't got it yet)

In the short term I imagine 32-bit would be the most sensible, but I'd definitely like 64-bit for the long term, because I will either buy more ram or build a new PC, and I use Adobe Lightroom a lot (which I believe would benefit from extra ram and 64-bit). I'm not really worried about other software, my old printer may be the only problem (Canon MP600).

So...
once you buy a particular version (no. of bits), are you stuck with it, or can you change it?
if you are stuck with it, I guess I have to go 64-bit, and use the XP mode for anything I'm having trouble with, because I'm sure I will want 64-bit in the future.

Thanks

Reaction score
If your computer has 4 gigabytes of ram go with 64 bit Windows 7.
At the moment I think it has 2 gig - will cost me £67 to change it to 4, but when I upgrade to i7 (new MB) I'd have to buy new memory, so I might leave it at 2 gig for a while.

The upgrade version comes with both a 32 bit disk and a 64 bit disk.
When W7 was out a while ago I thought you got both on the disk, but I'm buying a student upgrade version, and if you look at the websites selling the student upgrade version eg here it clearly gives you a choice of which to buy. I understand you could then download a different version and crete an iso, but that's a pain I'd rather avoid.

Before installing Windows 7 64 bit go to Microsoft's Download Center and type Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor in the Search box at the top of the page. Download it and run it. Then make up your mind on 32 or 64 bit by what the report says.
I will be building the PC, so I have to put an OS on before I could go to the Advisor, and I'd have liked to have bought the disc already. If they really are different disks, and you only get one, I'm sure I'll order the 64 bit, since even if I don't use it straight away I'm bound to use it more that 32-bit over the years (eg, PC I'm on now is still XP).

Also, if you do go with 64 bit, do yourself a favor ahead of time and download 64 bit drivers for your printer, motherboard and other hardware and put them on a flash drive.
Sounds like good advice, thanks. When you say a flash drive, do you just mean like a USB stick?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
2GB is the minimum for 64bit but it will run alright as long as you don't have a 1GB video card. Note: If you have need of Professional's Virtual PC - XP mode download, the 2GB might not be enough under 64bit; it may slow it down considerably.

You can download the other bit version from microsoft and burn it to a dvd and your key will work, as long as you get Pro for Pro.

New hardware won't be a problem if you are building it but attach your printer, mouse, other hardware you will be transferring to the new machine as well as install any old software on your current computer and run the advisor to check for hardware & software compatibility issues.

Yes a flash drive is a USB stick, or you can burn them to a CD/DVD

Last edited:
Reaction score
2GB is the minimum for 64bit but it will run alright as long as you don't have a 1GB video card.
Video card memory is completely separate and independent from system RAM. One doesn't depend on the other at all.

The only time you have to take video card RAM into consideration is if there is 32 bit Windows. The total amount of memory (system RAM + video RAM) can not exceed the 32 bit limitation.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Now see that always confuses me, thanks TorrentG. Alright so if you have 2GB RAM and a 1GB GPU you should be fine because that is still under the 3.25GB cap for 32-bit addressing and it won't even be a concern for 64-bit. Is that still true if they are using the onboard video built into the MOBO?

But you still may have issues if you try to run Virtual PC - XP mode on a 2GB 64-bit W7 because I have seen it slow my nephews laptop to a crawl.

Reaction score
Right, you got it.

Onboard video uses system RAM directly, in most cases. I'm fairly sure that there is onboard video with it's own RAM built in too, so that would be the exception. In this case, it would behave the same as any video card and not take from system RAM.

Reaction score
Ok, I've just bought 4gb of 2nd hand ram, so 64 bit it is

Thanks all for the help.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Ok, I've just bought 4gb of 2nd hand ram, so 64 bit it is

Thanks all for the help.
Triggaaar - you can download the x64 version of Windows 7 Professional here: http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65805/X15-65805.iso

It's a 3.02 GB ISO image file download. Save the file to somewhere that is easy to locate and then burn that ISO to a good quality blank DVD disc using ImgBurn at no faster than an 8X burn speed and then use the "Verify" feature in ImgBurn to check the burn went okay.

You can can download ImgBurn, which is a free application at: www.imgburn.com

Reaction score
Ok, I spoke too soon.

Windows doesn't believe the printer is connected. I switch it off, then on again, but it still doesn't help, it says the printer is not connected.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reaction score
Any ideas? I'm mostly unable to use my printer, as Windows doesn't realise it's connected.

Thanks

Ask a Question