Windows 7 Pro 64bit upgrade on a Vaio

Reaction score
I just bought a Sony Vaio F series notebook last Friday. It came pre-loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit but I need to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional in order to use it at work.

I took it to the IT department at work and by mistake they installed Windows 7 Pro 32bit over the 64bit Home Premium version (which does me no good as my design software is 64bit based). They are now having problems installing the 64bit Professional version, and nothing seems to work.

My Vaio model is VPCF120FL (this particular model is sold in Latin America)

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
VAIO VPCF120FL Specs

Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz • Windows 7 Home Premium original de 64 bit • Hard Drive - 500GB • RAM - 4GB DDR3 SDRAM up to 8GB • Blu-ray Disc reader/burner• VAIO Premium Full HD de 16.4" (1920 x 1080) • NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Whenever you get a new PC there is an option to burn the OS to DVD; I realize this would be home premium but do you have that? If you can restore that then the simplest method to upgrade to PRO is the anytime upgrade.

When you say they are having trouble can you be more specific? The software won't install? There are drivers missing for sound or whatever? Drivers would be here ...
http://esupport.sony.com/LA/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=VPCF120FL&LOC=3

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
mlm2t - installing the x64 version of Pro over the 32 can't be done. It will have to be done as a clean or "custom" install. The hard drive needs the partitions to be deleted and wiped clean and then a new fresh install with new partitions.

Plus they'll need to download all the x64 drivers for your model notebook from the notebook maker's website for the model you have.

Reaction score
mlm2t - installing the x64 version of Pro over the 32 can't be done. It will have to be done as a clean or "custom" install. The hard drive needs the partitions to be deleted and wiped clean and then a new fresh install with new partitions.

Plus they'll need to download all the x64 drivers for your model notebook from the notebook maker's website for the model you have.
they installed Windows 7 Pro 32bit over the 64bit Home Premium version IMPOSSIBLE,i agree with nibiru this can Only be done after format & clean Install as w7 will go from 32bit to x64bit but not the way you said, the IT department must have confused you.

Reaction score
Yes and no.

The part about going from 32 bit to 64 bit - that still can't be done.

Any architecture change requires clean install.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's an IT department, I'm pretty sure they are smart enough to wipe and install, I'm guessing they just don't have the right drivers.

Reaction score
Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz • Windows 7 Home Premium original de 64 bit • Hard Drive - 500GB • RAM - 4GB DDR3 SDRAM up to 8GB • Blu-ray Disc reader/burner• VAIO Premium Full HD de 16.4" (1920 x 1080) • NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
=mlm2t the Sony F series have 3 models for your part of the world one with PRE-Installed w7 ULTIMATE x64 bit & the other has home premium 32 bit & x64 bit.but only 1 of these could be your PC as the other is an Atom processor using 32bit only.I would say you have i7 version this one listed

16.4 inch VAIO F Series (Premium Black)
Equipped with the latest Quad Core CPU, Intel® Core™ i7 Processor plus the latest NVIDIA® GeForce® GPU. The Full HD display lets you enjoy the beauty of HD video and photos with Adobe RGB 100% coverage. The classy top panel features a two-layer finish with pearl black covered by a clear layer.
  • Intel® Core™ i7-740QM Processor 1.73 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.93 GHz
  • Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
  • 16.4" wide (Full HD: 1920 x 1080) VAIO Display Premium, Full HD 1080, Adobe RGB 100% coverage
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M GPU with CUDA™ Technology
  • Blu-ray Disk™ Drive
  • Photo Solution : Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® 2, Adobe® Photoshop® Elements 8
The other F series Vaio has
<LI jQuery1279084794073="454">Intel® Core™ i5-520M Processor 2.40 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.93 GHz<LI jQuery1279084794073="458">Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)<LI jQuery1279084794073="460">16.4" wide (WXGA++: 1600 x 900) VAIO Display<LI jQuery1279084794073="461">NVIDIA® GeForce® 310M GPU with CUDA™ Technology<LI jQuery1279084794073="462">500 GB Hard Disk Drive<LI jQuery1279084794073="463">Advanced Connectivity:eSATA/USB port, HDMI output connecct

Reaction score
It's an IT department, I'm pretty sure they are smart enough to wipe and install, I'm guessing they just don't have the right drivers.
I'm guessing they just don't have the right drivers,IT departments have access to company drivers,I am not guessing but I can tell you when you first turned it on they call this (OOBE) some models give you a choice of 32bit or x64bit (Home Premium)your notebook was pre-loaded with x64bit So are you sure?
I hope you get it sorted if you need any help here are the updates ,drivers,link for the three F series notebooks
Downloads
»17-06-2010 Windows XP Drivers and Applications for VPCF12 Series (Individual Drivers)
»07-07-2010 Original Drivers and Applications for VPCF12 series (Windows 7 64-Bit)
»06-07-2010 VAIO Event Service Update version 5.2.1.05130
»09-07-2010 VAIO Power Management Update version 5.1.1.06180
»09-07-2010 PMB VAIO Edition Settings (CD Writing) Update version 1.0.00.06110

http://www.sony.com.au/product/vpcf127hg

Vaio F series Notebooks

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is he sure of what?

mlm2Tt said it came with 64 premium but then his IT department at work installed Pro for him but unfortunately they used 32 bit. He needs 64bit for a piece of design software he uses. So now he took it back to them to get 64 Pro installed but they are having some sort of problem. Hopefully he comes back with more information.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
It came pre-loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit but I need to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional in order to use it at work.
You do know that you could have used the Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade feature to upgrade to the Pro version for an additional fee of about $80. You could have done it online and it would have taken about 30 minutes or so.

I worked at a few places where some members of the IT department wouldn't even qualify to work in the Geek Squad at Best Buy! LOL! :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction score
and things got even more confusing...

Thank you everyone for posting!

So I wrote to Sony and the guy who replied is telling me that this vaio model is only compatible with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and not the Professional version...does this make any sense? I'm not trusting their service too much since the guy from IT wrote to them the day before and the same Sony guy confused Windows 7 with Vista! (the horror!)

On a separate note, I talked to IT last night before going home and they tell me they "think" they might have found the problem. I was way too tired to comprehend what they were talking about and I haven't talked to them yet this morning, so we'll see...

I'll keep you posted.

Reaction score
Success!

Yeah, the Sony guy was clearly wrong as Windows 7 Professional 64 bit is now running on my Vaio!

This is kind of funny: I stopped by IT and they had it up and running, however, the network controller wasn't working. So I'm standing around as the IT guy is downloading the driver from Sony esupport, saving it to a flash drive and installing it and he still can't get online, and has this puzzled/frustrated look on his face when we finally notice the cable was unplugged all along! : P

Thanks again for everything, your help was much appreciated. You think IT is bad in the U.S. you should try IT in Panama, in Spanglish, with Mexico-based Sony support!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
he still can't get online, and has this puzzled/frustrated look on his face when we finally notice the cable was unplugged all along! : P
This only supports my previous comment about IT support and Geek Squad comparison! LOL! :lol: :pcguru:

Reaction score
I'm guessing they just don't have the right drivers,IT departments have access to company drivers,I am not guessing but I can tell you when you first turned it on they call this (OOBE) some models give you a choice of 32bit or x64bit (Home Premium)your notebook was pre-loaded with x64bit So are you sure? you have VPCF12 as many Vaio owners that have purchased the VPCF 12 F series had OOBE (Out Of Box Experience) problems with setting up on first start-up
I included the drivers & applications for you in case you wanted them to do a clean Install yourself.

I hope you get it sorted if you need any help here are the updates ,drivers,link for the three F series notebooks
Downloads
»17-06-2010 Windows XP Drivers and Applications for VPCF12 Series (Individual Drivers)
»07-07-2010 Original Drivers and Applications for VPCF12 series (Windows 7 64-Bit)
»06-07-2010 VAIO Event Service Update version 5.2.1.05130
»09-07-2010 VAIO Power Management Update version 5.1.1.06180
»09-07-2010 PMB VAIO Edition Settings (CD Writing) Update version 1.0.00.06110

http://www.sony.com.au/product/vpcf127hg

Vaio F series Notebooks
So are you sure? you have VPCF12 as many Vaio owners that have purchased the VPCF 12 F series had OOBE (Out Of Box Experience) problems with setting up on first start-up
I included the drivers & applications for you in case you wanted them to do a clean Install yourself.

regards
jeff

Reaction score
Is he sure of what?

mlm2Tt said it came with 64 premium but then his IT department at work installed Pro for him but unfortunately they used 32 bit. He needs 64bit for a piece of design software he uses. So now he took it back to them to get 64 Pro installed but they are having some sort of problem. Hopefully he comes back with more information.
Is he sure of what?well so it seems,No he is not either are the IT department ,Lets see if the system is faulty or will it be the IT departments worse nightmare when they realise its another OOBE setup default 32/64bit error which has been plentiful with Vaio & Toshiba L500.I hope he sorts it out I offered my email as I will help him till he is fully up and running & understands what the problem was.

That's why i come here to Learn,Help as well be taught new ideas,tools,anything we all know there are different problems for different computers, as for me I deal with facts I hope everyone understands that what he(mlm2lt) is going through we all have had strange,unusual software errors setup problems happen to us Remember?I know I have that is why I mention all I read especially if I have had similar problems.

Good Luck & don't hesitate to email me for further assistance,I will help any w7 member.
respectfully
jeffreyobrien

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Jeffrey, I am STILL not sure what you were asking if he was sure of? The question doesn't specify the noun so I am confused as to what you were asking. Were you asking if he was sure it came with Home Prem 64bit? Is he sure the IT department installed 32bit Pro? Is he sure his design software needs 64bit?

You are confusing the heck outta me.

I'm not questioning that you are trying to help; I was seriously asking what it was you were asking if he was sure of because I personally couldn't figure it out.

And now the "Is he sure of what?well so it seems,No he is not either are the IT department" I am confused about what this is about as well.

Maybe it's the slight differences in our language or maybe I failed to link your thoughts to something back in the thread but now I'm more confused then ever.

Apparently the poster is all set, so I suppose it's not important but, me personally, I'm lost.

Reaction score
Jeffrey, I am STILL not sure what you were asking if he was sure of? The question doesn't specify the noun so I am confused as to what you were asking. Were you asking if he was sure it came with Home Prem 64bit? Is he sure the IT department installed 32bit Pro? Is he sure his design software needs 64bit?

You are confusing the heck outta me.

I'm not questioning that you are trying to help; I was seriously asking what it was you were asking if he was sure of because I personally couldn't figure it out.

And now the "Is he sure of what?well so it seems,No he is not either are the IT department" I am confused about what this is about as well.

Maybe it's the slight differences in our language or maybe I failed to link your thoughts to something back in the thread but now I'm more confused then ever.

Apparently the poster is all set, so I suppose it's not important but, me personally, I'm lost.
well then it would be rude not to explain it,I was making sure that he Covered all bases (ie) IT department being wrong,Him being un sure & finally I was pointing him towards the fact that his notebook probably had the Vaio common setup default flaw (OOBE) anyway trainman I hope that you are all sorted out it was NOT my intention to confuse you or anyone else however as for the Noun its really nouns (more than one) 3 models were on list he is sorted so alls well that ends well mate.

respectfully
jeffreyobrien (job)

Reaction score
Yeah, the Sony guy was clearly wrong as Windows 7 Professional 64 bit is now running on my Vaio!

This is kind of funny: I stopped by IT and they had it up and running, however, the network controller wasn't working. So I'm standing around as the IT guy is downloading the driver from Sony esupport, saving it to a flash drive and installing it and he still can't get online, and has this puzzled/frustrated look on his face when we finally notice the cable was unplugged all along! : P

Thanks again for everything, your help was much appreciated. You think IT is bad in the U.S. you should try IT in Panama, in Spanglish, with Mexico-based Sony support!
Good on ya bro,you have got yourself a working notebook,we will be seeing you soon hopefully with some more w7 info.I am pleased that you ALSO understand that even Experienced IT people can be wrong,its all better now have a great weekend there in Panama Hot & Sunny hey lucky man.
regards
jeffrey (job)

Ask a Question