Can I load windows 7 64 bit on this system?

Reaction score
I've got a Dell Precision that I'm thinking of doing a pretty big upgrade to. It's got 4 mb ram, and a 500 gig hard drive and I want to install a 1 TB hard drive and 16 gigs of ram. However, I believe it is running a 32 bit system (windows 7) and, from what I've read, it cannot run that much memory unless I can change it to a 64 bit system. Is this possible with my computer? How would I do this?

Could I just upgrade to windows 10 and have it happen automatically?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name (blanked out)
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Precision WorkStation T3400
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz, 2493 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A08, 8/14/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Blanked out
Time Zone Blanked out
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 0.98 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.04 GB
Available Virtual Memory 610 MB
Page File Space 4.04 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Thanks in advance,

kayakdude

Reaction score
Hi,

Your system supports 64 bit operating systems. You would have to purchase an OEM copy of Win 7 64 bit.

If you can still get the Win 10 upgrade you would not get a free upgrade to the 64 bit version unless you purchase a 64 bit version of Win 7 and then upgrade. Microsoft will upgrade you to the same version you have installed when doing the upgrade. Technically the free upgrade period has ended.

The maximum amount of RAM for this system is 8 GB, so you cannot add 16 GB of RAM to this PC.

The system supports SATA 300 which limits throughput to a theoretical 300 MB/Second.

Your system has been around for a while. Upgrading to Win 10, if you can get it for free, may be problematic.

Make sure you have a good system backup and recovery routine in place should you have to rebuild the system after a failed Win 10 upgrade.

Ask a Question