windows 7 sharing

Reaction score
Hi
I have 2 windows7 pcs and i want to share a hard drive out on one of them. I have tried advanced sharing and can share the folder, but when i try to connect from the 2nd pc on my network to that shared drive, I can see the share, however when i try to open it, it says i do not have permission. I have already given everyone permission with full control and also added the user account but i still cant access it. I have turned off the firewall on both machines and they are also part of the same homegroup. i have made sure that in the homegroup settings that network file sharing is enabled and is discoverable and I am still getting the same error. I can share folders inside the hard drive and the remote machine will see the folders but when i try to open the folder, it says access is denied! what am i missing? This was never a problem in windows xp! why has windows made a simple thing so difficult??? this would have taken me 5 seconds to share a folder on xp. on windows 7 i have spent 2 hours on this. Any ideas out there?

Reaction score
on another note

another thing i noticed is that when i right click one of the folders that is shared out, there is a padlock icon and says share with nobody, however, when i click homegroup, it remains at share with nobody and i cannot get it to share with the homegroup. this is happening on both pc's so i dont think its a problem with the way its setup. WHy is this so complicated but on xp, no problem.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Go to Network and Sharing Center, on your computer you want to share stuff. Make sure your network your connected to has been classified as a Home or work network NOT public (this will disable everything with file sharing). If that is all good, go to "Change advanced sharing settings" on the left side of the screen. Expand Home or Work, make sure
Network discovery is ON
File and Printer sharing is ON
... turn Password Protected sharing off
The SOURCE

Reaction score
i checked those settings.

yes they are both home settings and they are set to discoverable and file sharing and turned off password protection.. they are also on the same workgroup. i checked all these settings you mentioned. Any other ideas? i can access a windows xp share no problem. so windows 7 is the issue and i have all the correct settings. windows 7 file sharing is not as easy and convenient as windows claims it is. Does anyone else have aclue about what settings i should check. is it a registry setting maybe?

Reaction score
router

could it be that i have one pc on the wired port router and the other wireless? but they are using the same router?

Ask a Question