Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It looks like Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 isn't too far away, with possible release later on this year (perhaps September 2010).

You can read a little more about what we can expect to see in SP1 at PC World, who expect to see USB 3.0 support and improved wifi/bluetooth stacks:

Beyond the obvious bug fixes and security patches, we'll no doubt see support for the new USB 3.0 standard. Likewise, enhancements to the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi stacks will be slipstreamed in, allowing Windows 7 to retain its mantle as the most easily configured version ever.

But perhaps the most significant "update" to come out of Service Pack 1 will be the fact that it exists at all, and that by delivering it to market Microsoft will be signaling that it is now OK for IT shops to pull the trigger on their Windows 7 deployments. So here's to an early SP1 release -- and a final dismissal of that pesky rule of thumb.

Reaction score
What are WIFI and bluetooth stacks? Do you mean drivers?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I figured with all of the media hype (including registry photos that I posted), something was going on. A couple of rumors can be dismissed, but most days I go through the net, looking for the latest news. SP1 was no longer just a couple of rumors. It was being exploited on a lot of PC columns all over the net. That's not a 100% sign, but a fairly good sign that something's going on.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I'd say an early SP1 is a smart marketing idea as well, I've seen & heard so many people say that they aren't getting Windows 7 until SP1 comes out, and here it is announced already ;)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I'd say an early SP1 is a smart marketing idea as well, I've seen & heard so many people say that they aren't getting Windows 7 until SP1 comes out, and here it is announced already ;)
Its defiantly good strategy and something to keep an eye on ... and ears open :)

Reaction score
If they are going to release SP1 soon, they are keeping it very hush, hush as there is not even a hint from Microsoft's side, only speculation so far. And I for one do not deploy with any Microsoft product before SP1 or SP2 is released.

Have also read that many speculate that Win 7 is just basically a Major SP upgrade on Vista. (Released as Windows 7, to make money)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If they are going to release SP1 soon, they are keeping it very hush, hush as there is not even a hint from Microsoft's side, only speculation so far. And I for one do not deploy with any Microsoft product before SP1 or SP2 is released.

Have also read that many speculate that Win 7 is just basically a Major SP upgrade on Vista. (Released as Windows 7, to make money)
The first part of your post, you're right, they're keeping the lid on it. But Windows 7 is NOT a service pack to Vista. Microsoft would never do that to it's customers. Windows 7 is a OS that's in a class by itself. First Class.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Microsoft would never do that to it's customers.
Are you talking about the same company that charged $500 from early adopters for an "Ultimate" edition of Vista, with the promise of exciting add-ons and extra features, which ended up being a few screensavers and sound schemes?

7 is definitely not just Vista with a face lift, but let's not kid ourselves: Microsoft took a beating financially with Vista, and needed to release 7 quickly after to make up for it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, I'm talking about the same corporation, but not about Vista. I've never owned a Vista system, but used my sister's a couple of times, only to check emails. I jumped straight from XP Pro (after using it for seven years, I was ready for something new). I was responding to the statement regarding Windows 7 being a SP to Vista. Vista has their own SP's. That's what I was saying, Microsoft wouldn't shaft their customers in such a manner. If it was a SP to Vista, then yes, it would be shafting. But Microsoft has more class than that. They took their loss with Vista in stride, extended the life of XP (at their expense) over it, even allowed (some) Vista users to downgrade to XP. Then last summer, as many of us recall, we got an exclusive offer from Microsoft to upgrade to 7 at a bargain rate (I wished I saved the email, I'd post it for proof). Microsoft graciously offered to make amends for the Vista mistake by doing this. There were many who bought the maximum of copies allowed, and resold them for huge profits. At the time, I didn't have the cash, I'd have done the same had I could. But I cannot speak for everyone else, only for myself, regarding the world class service and professionalism that Microsoft has delivered to me over the last 10+ years. As I mentioned in a post a couple of months ago, the lady at Microsoft spent over an hour with me, walking me through a problem with XP Pro at no charge. They have nothing more to prove to me, and I stand by my statement (that was posted above) for these reasons.

Reaction score
A five-minute discussion on Windows 7's low-level architecture reveals that it's anything but a service pack for Windows Vista.

Windows 7's API, service and stack management was completely rearchitected; the WDDM sub-system was completely written for superior UI performance; and it radically improved multi-core awareness.

These are just three of three of the changes that would be impossible to insert into a service pack, because the surrounding OS would not offer the correct dependencies or architecture to accommodate them. Windows 7 is a substantial rewrite of Windows' core, for true.

Reaction score
If MS decide to issue a service pack we will soon hear about it. Why bother to even think about it for now?:)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
If MS decide to issue a service pack we will soon hear about it. Why bother to even think about it for now?:)
I'm sure the first service pack for Windows 7 will be very much publicised throughout the Internet for sure ;)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
SP1 for Windows 7 probably won't arrive until late 3rd Quarter or early 4th Quarter of 2010. At least that's what most of the pundits are saying.

Who knows? The Shadow do! (Sinister laugh in background.)

Ask a Question