service pack 1 for windows 7

Reaction score
I,ve been waiting for windows 7 for some time now and I,ve been looking for a new computer [desktop]. with windows7 preinstalled. I think I,ve found the computer for my needs but thought I,d check with my son first as he,s much more computer savy than I am. I think he rained on my parade as he feels I should wait for service pack 1 to become available. I,am just wondering what others think. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

thanks
dougarbet

Reaction score
Hi dougarbet - Welcome to w7forums

You can wait if you wish.

Personally I feel as if the OS is stable enough to purchase now. SP1 will be a free update anyway so there really is no need in waiting, unless it is hardware that you are waiting for.

My father was thinking about a computer replacement in the past. I talked him into waiting until Windows 7 was released, so he would be getting the Recovery Partition with Windows 7 and not Windows Vista. Now I see no reason why he should wait if he finds a machine he likes with Windows 7.

Reaction score
I feel the only thing I feel service pack one will include would be hardware updates along with security. I am on my 12th W7 system and so far since release no problems or complants form my customers besides finding drivers for 3 year or older hardware componets

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Right now, I personally don't see the need for SP1 for Windows 7. It's barely two months since it was released. It's the best Windows ever the way it is.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi dougarbet

Windows 7 SP1 will be some time down the line and as your looking for a new Desktop PC i would purchase now, Windows 7 is a stable Operating System and I'm sure you would be happy with it.

Reaction score
Win 7 has been one of the best beta productions Microsoft has made. If you are looking to get a new computer there isn't a reason to wait unless you have no money to spare or are waiting for new hardware.

Reaction score
As someone who has used every build leaked to the public since November of 2008, and who religiously skipped Vista for performance reasons, I can confidently say that Windows 7 is ready for everyone. A service pack would only serve to resolve outstanding issues on a few scattered hardware configurations, rather than resolve major performance concerns as was the case with both Vista service packs.

Windows 7 is ready to roll right now, and it was in April.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have used every version of Windows 7 since Jan '09, not as many as Thrax, but quite a few. It's extremely stable! Best OS yet from M$.

From what I've heard, don't expect SP1 until either the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2010. Like the rest have said; it will probably have a few hardware updates and such.

There is a "so-called update pack" on some of the torrent sites, but it's not sanctioned by M$ and is LOADED with bugs and such.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
There is a "so-called update pack" on some of the torrent sites, but it's not sanctioned by M$ and is LOADED with bugs and such
Not advisable, SP1 will come some time maybe in 2010 and it will be an update from Microsoft ... and safe ;)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
As long as Windows 7 continues to run like it does now, I'd rather not see SP1. You never know, it may mess something up. Like when Microsoft had a perfectly good browser (and it was the #1 in the world) and threw IE8 at us. I don't feel the need to repeat the problems that IE8 caused, but my point is: Why fix what isn't broken? The large majority of Windows 7 users that are having problems are those who didn't do a clean install, or downloaded an upgrade to 7. Most of those who did a clean install or bought new are very happy with Windows 7. A service pack will not fix a lot of the problems that some are having. A clean install will. No matter the OS, a clean install is the way to go. No service pack will give that. Let's enjoy the greatest OS in the world to it's fullest. Windows 7 (with no service pack) is a piece of cake compared to any OS that I've used. I hope that it stays that way.

JT!

Reaction score
why wait for service pack 1?

these are the same people that were on windows 98 when XP came out.

newer is (almost) always better.

buy your windows 7 machine and enjoy. then show your friend.
they are hard to convince otherwise. he's probably only recently moved to XP.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, JT! I have to agree with your comment "newer is (almost) always better." I still have an XP Pro system, but seldom use it anymore. As you said, buy your windows 7 machine and enjoy. That's exactly what I've done.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
All this is "much ado about nothing"! Windows 7 SP1 won't be released until probably late 3rd Quarter of 2010 at the VERY earliest. Most techies are saying not until 1st Quarter of 2011.

When it is released, it will probably take care of a few minor bugs, etc.

I don't know why anyone uses Internet Explorer anyway, Firefox is much better and faster.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I agree with you completely with you, Nibiru2012, this is too much fuss for nothing. It may take care of a few minor bugs, but there's not many bugs there. There may be some hardware bugs addressed, but if your computer was built for XP or Win 2K, those matters won't be fixed. Those users will have to simply beef up their hardware to run Windows 7. IE is what needs the service pack. Firefox is the best browser(s) around. They have 3.5.6 & 3.6 Beta 5. I use the Beta, it beats IE and it's a beta product. Microsoft released a service pack for IE6, why can't they do the same for IE8? Place the service pack where needed.

Ask a Question