SOLVED Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Now Available!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is now available for download.

There are TWO ways to get it. One is from the download site at Microsoft and the other through Windows Update site.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda

The above link has the DVD ISO which is all-inclusive for all versions and editions of Windows 7, both the X86 and X64 versions.

7601.17514.101119-1850_Update_Sp_Wave1-GRMSP1.1_DVD.iso - This DVD image contains standalone update for all architectures.

It's a 1953.3 MB ISO file size... yeah it's big, but has all the stuff you need if you have several machines running Windows 7 in both the 32 and 64 bit versions.

From the Microsoft Windows 7 Download Page:

Overview

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 helps keep your PCs and servers on the latest support level. It also provides ongoing improvements to the Windows Operating System (OS), by including previous updates delivered over Windows Update as well as continuing incremental updates to the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 platforms based on customer and partner feedback. This enables organizations to deploy a single set of updates.

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 will help you:

• Keep your PCs supported and up-to-date
  • Get ongoing updates to the Windows 7 platform
  • Easily deploy cumulative updates at a single time
  • Meet your users' demands for greater business mobility
  • Provide a comprehensive set of virtualization innovations
  • Provide an easier Service Pack deployment model for better IT efficiency

Do not click download if you are updating just one computer: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update. The best way to ensure you get Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 is by turning on the Automatic Updates feature. You can use our step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you. If Windows Update is not offering you the option to install the service pack, see KB 2498452. If you are encountering a problem when installing the service pack from Windows update, see Troubleshoot problems installing a service pack for Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

Steps to take before installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center
If you choose to install Windows 7 SP1 from the Microsoft Download Center Web site, there are steps that you can take to make sure that you have a good experience when you install the service pack. This article, KB 2505743, provides some suggestions to improve your experience when you install Windows 7 SP1 from the Microsoft Download Center Web site.

In order to download and install Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 you must currently have a Release to Manufacturing (RTM) version of Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 already installed.

If you have previously installed a pre-release version of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 on your machine, you must uninstall that version before installing SP1.

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 is available for installation in the same languages made available at original launch of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I got the update notification today and tried to download & install but MS's servers must be getting slammed as I went out for 2 hours and the percentage of the update to download did not budge at all O_O

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
They'll ease off, draceena. Just give it a bit. That's why I grabbed mine when it was posted previously on this forum, I knew it was going to be a scramble to get it. And I wanted to do it at the time of my choosing.

I've saved both the x86 & x64 versions on a flash drive, that way, should I need them, I'll have them on hand.

Once you do get it downloaded, it shouldn't take too long to install, you have a much higher powered computer than I. My install took over an hour.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Maybe I am being to optimistic. But wouldn't it be magnificent if MS allowed genuine owners to download the latest release with SP1 incorporated!
I have just tried an install of the Technet Home premium SP1 release. Not much time loss over the original, without SP1.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thank you very much, davehc! Now I can replace my nine Windows 7 install discs with SP1 built in. No slipstreaming!

Most likely, new customers who purchases Win 7 online, will have this option, if they take the download option.

Cat

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I downloaded it about 5PM eastern yesterday from MS directly. It took about 25 minutes total. Not bad all in all.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
When I got mine through the torrent links that were provided on this forum, perhaps 2 months or so ago, I downloaded both (x86,x64). Many users were "seeding", so it only took slightly over an hour to get both with uTorrent.

Being that I believe in not getting everything for free, I "seeded" myself for an additional 2 hours. You should always, if you can, keep the file going, it gives back to the community. A good rule of thumb is 2x what you receive, that's why I chose 2 hours.

And the good thing, which is what really matters, was that I and many others installed SP1 in advance of the rush, and it was the real deal.

Also, uTorrent is a good one to use, it's lightweight, and updates often. I've had no issues with it on my computer.

Cat

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, or looking at this substantial update as more of an optional choice to consider right now, than an absolute necessity, but after reviewing the SP1 file size (kb/976932 is 73.6 MB - 892.6 MB) that appeared in my Win7 Updates today, I am not as eager nor enthusiastic to download it as quickly as so many have here, until I am convinced that I truly need all of those updates. I have been keeping up with regular updates (the ones I feel that I really need the most) and do not see the logic in downloading the entire SP1, when I cannot see a detailed listing of exactly what updates are included in it first.

Reaction score
I got my copy off SoftPedia who had the real deal posted in January, and later on removed it at the request of MS

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, or looking at this substantial update as more of an optional choice to consider right now, than an absolute necessity, but after reviewing the SP1 file size (kb/976932 is 73.6 MB - 892.6 MB) that appeared in my Win7 Updates today, I am not as eager nor enthusiastic to download it as quickly as so many have here, until I am convinced that I truly need all of those updates. I have been keeping up with regular updates (the ones I feel that I really need the most) and do not see the logic in downloading the entire SP1, when I cannot see a detailed listing of exactly what updates are included in it first.
etalmar, you'll benefit from Win 7 SP1, but it's not going to produce miracles. You may gain a few seconds of time from startup to being connected to the internet, but nothing big.

As I posted earlier (perhaps in another thread), SP1 will benefit MS more than you or I. Many users (especially business/corporate users) refuses to purchase a new Windows OS until the first SP is released. The release of Vista, with it's very well known issues, only put more fear into many customers.

Too, it has anti piracy features built in, which is good for all of us. It helps to hold down future software prices for all.

It's yet to be seen, but with XP, and 2K, certain downloads requires the latest SP installed, however at this time, it's too early to make that call with Win 7.

Cat

Ask a Question