SOLVED Windows 7 restarts continuously after a fresh installation

PHM

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm pretty much a newbie with the forums. Before posting this issue I had tried searching a lot (within this forum itself and other resources) but couldnt find an answer to my question anywhere. As far as Win 7 is concerned, I'm a fresher. I was an ardent supporter of Win XP. The installation of Win 7 looks far more easier than Win 7 and fresh looks too.

I'm facing a very funny issue with one of the PC's in my office, on which I'm trying to install Win 7 Enterprise 32 bit. I'm in the process of installing Win 7 for all the users in the office. A few PC's (Dell Optiplex 755) are running Win 7 smoothly without any issues. But this one PC and another one are showing the same symptoms, i.e right after the fresh installation of Win 7, it gets into the mode where it asks if it should go into the safe mode or Start with Windows 7. Once I hit Start with Windows 7, the Win logo appears and then it restarts. This continues on and on. Even the safe mode does not work.The PC in this case is a DELL Optiplex 755.

The specifications of the PC are as follows:
  • Inter Core 2 Duo, 2.6 Ghz
  • 1 Gb RAM
By the way, I'm using the same model of the PC, but it had no issues with the installation.

I know perhaps some of you might suggest me to go back to Dell before I ask for a help here. But I just wanted to know from any of you here if you ever faced such an issue.

Thanks,
PHM

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi PHM, welcome to the forums :)

Does that specific Optiplex 755 have any differences to the other machines running Windows 7, perhaps an additional bit of hardware? Also, have you tried performing another fresh install to see if that fixes the issue?

It may be worth updating the BIOS to see if that helps, as there is a recent release for that machine (here).

If another clean install doesn't do the trick, I'd start testing hardware to see if there are any problems there.

PHM

Reaction score
Hi Lan,
Thanks for your reply. I guess I found a way out for this. Ok. This might turn out to be a laughing stuff. Bail in advance. The thing was that, I was trying the installation from a Win 7 DVD that we (our IT dept) had created which not only installs the OS but also the office related (user) applications. That was when it didnt work. So the next thing that I tried was a Win 7 Professional Edition DVD which comes along with the new Dell PC's. And funny, it did work!!! I dont know how, but I would be interested in knowing the reason.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Probably the DVD configured by the IT department was defective or not done correctly.

Windows 7 installs can be finicky to say the least. Plus you'll be able to install the office related apps after the Windows 7 install is finished, updated and properly configured.

PHM

Reaction score
Hi Nibiru,
I dont think the DVD made by us is defective or not done correctly. Because just today I had tried the same DVD on another PC that was running Win XP and it worked there. In the midst of looking for ways out I tried out the Dell Win 7 DVD. It worked anyways. And yes as you said I've installed all the office related apps separately unlike the Bootable Win 7 DVD that we had customized to suit our needs.

Reaction score
Hello PHM,

What type of install did you do? Did you upgrade or clean install?

Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

Reaction score
Hello PHM,

Another install option:
Have you tried installing Windows 7 with USB Flash Drive? I use USB flash drives all the time for OS install it works perfectly - lot faster and no DVDs to get scratched and damaged! :)
You can download the USB tool for free and copy your Windows 7 ISO to the USB. Complete instructions can be found here:
http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool
Thanks,
John M
Microsoft Windows Client Team

PHM

Reaction score
Hi Win7Guy,
Thanks for the reply. I tried a clean install and not an upgrade, first with an existing hard disk and then with a new one. At the moment we have just got the DVD's to work on. But we are in the process of preparing USB Flash drives for the OS install. I have heard too, that the USB's work faster than the DVD's. Anyways, the issue is now sorted out. Thanks to all for your valuable suggestions and inputs.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yes, the Flash USB drives do install very fast the OS to the computer.

Mine took about 5 minutes or so. Zooooooom!

Reaction score
Hi Win7Guy,
Thanks for the reply. I tried a clean install and not an upgrade, first with an existing hard disk and then with a new one. At the moment we have just got the DVD's to work on. But we are in the process of preparing USB Flash drives for the OS install. I have heard too, that the USB's work faster than the DVD's. Anyways, the issue is now sorted out. Thanks to all for your valuable suggestions and inputs.
Dell Optiplex 755 is well and truely up for the Job,as Nibiru2012 said USB drives using the w7usb install is faster & In our benchmarks of the dell 755 we saw fairly impressive results for a workstation. In WorldBench 6 the Optiplex scored a solid 105, suggesting it's up to the usual swathe of office applications, including some video or photo editing. Naturally e-mailing and word processing will run smoothly. In our MP3 encoding tests we also saw a good performance from the CPU. Converting 53 minutes worth of WAV files to 192Kbps MP3 files took just 62sec in iTunes (which uses both cores of the CPU. Using Cdex (which uses just one core) took 100sec,I am glad this is solved good luck great post.

regards
jeffreyobrien

Reactions: PHM

PHM

Reaction score
Hi Jeff(if i can refer that way),
Thanks for the reply. I personally do love the Optiplex 755 model (in fact all of them). Just an uneasiness when the most perfect PC for me doesn't give me the desired results. As you said, they are pretty strong PC's and have been doing a great job for the last 2 years ever since I started using it. Proud to be using this model.

Once again thanks for your reply.

Ask a Question