Windows 7 Registry Hacks or Tweaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
With Windows Vista and XP there were loads of little tweaks that could be made, to change the way that Windows worked. I'm sure there are some in Windows 7 too, but in different locations.

Has anybody had a look under the hood to see what can be tweaked? :)

Reaction score
I remember reading a post from another member who knew lots about the registry, so perhaps try messaging him to see if he knows :) I don't touch the registry, just so I don't break it ;)

Reaction score
Windows 7 Registry Tweaks

You can find Windows 7 Tweaks utility in: (snip)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Link removed. Please try engaging the community with advice and discussion before linking to your software in your very first post.

Welcome to Windows7Forums.

Reaction score
Here is what I did.

Put my taskbar icons to not group (and be full size), made my icons on the taskbar and deskop both small icons -- the large icons are HUGE and I don't see the point

Disable services:
-Windows Defender
-Superfetch (if you have 8gb of RAM and you never use over 4gb at a time, don't disable this, but if you have 2gb you DEFINITELY want to disable it, and I'd say the same if you have 4gb too but that's up for debate. This makes a huge difference, and hardly increases your load times unless you have some old ATA-33 hard drive).

UAC -- I disable it. Without it, it wouldn't let me change my monitor refresh rate, and something else. I don't get a lot of prompts with it in Windows 7, but to an advanced user especially it's the most useless feature. It really isn't much less secure with it off -- viruses have been made to get around it since before Vista's launch, but it will keep some older viruses from finding their way into startup.

I also do the IE8 menu bar tweak, although I use primarily Opera.... just a personal preferance of mine.

I will keep looking for other tweaks, but disabling two services makes this OS perform much like XP for the most part, and a couple of other tweaks and I'm good to go -- which means less time spent doing tweaks and more time installing programs and games!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Removing Superfetch increased my RAM usage by 400mb :S

now that i think of it, my computer is always using 1GB RAM when idle.
I'm running 64bit Build 7100.
Does anyone know what i can do to lower the ram usage?

edit: while googling for a bit, i've noticed that 1GB usage is normal ^^

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How much RAM do you have at the moment? The only way to lower the memory usage is to stop loading some apps in the background - but you'll likely need them ;) Buying a little more RAM would be a better option - 2GB runs most things great, but perhaps this is the sort of topic for a new thread.

Reaction score
Running 2GB atm, going to buy 2GB more during summer break.

Reaction score
Removing Superfetch increased my RAM usage by 400mb :S

now that i think of it, my computer is always using 1GB RAM when idle.
I'm running 64bit Build 7100.

edit: while googling for a bit, i've noticed that 1GB usage is normal ^^
I ran the 32-bit and it used around 400-450mb after disabling superfetch and defender, turning off UAC and I don't run Aero. Seems like a large difference between x86 and x64...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question