Windows 7 RC Activation/Update error 80072efd

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Downloaded the RC from microsoft yesterday, installed it on my computer fine, but when i went to activate it, i got the 80072efd error. I tried many of the online things, nothing has seemed to help.
If you can please help me in anyway, that would be awesome.
take care

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you using a 3rd party firewall on your PC? That error means "A connection with the server could not be established." so it could be a temporary problem or something is blocking the connection.

Reaction score
i thought it was a firewall issue, so i disable all firewalls, even ran my computer in DMZ, and still no connection. I even tried running my inernet through my phone, and had the same result. any help please?

Reaction score
Hi dabopps,

Can you browse the internet without any probs? can you connect to other secure sites.. for ex: your bank;s website, your anti-virus program's webpage? are there any issues or yellow ! in Device Manager and network adapters?

if there is no issues doing that, you can alway try requesting another key from MS. You will have to sign in with a windows Live ID tho. then go to your system properties and at the bottom of the window click " change product key" .. put in new key and see how that goes.

I had this issue with the BETA version and decided just to do another clean install and didnt have a issue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had this exact same error code when i installed the Rc. And ian was right when he said about can connect to the internet. I did all the technical things, and when i actually looked at my wireless USB i found it wasnt in the port properly. probably the most stupid thing i have done with a pc ever.
But checking your internet USB or wifi might be worth trying. It could also be an issue with your driver for the internet, wifi or usb. check for the latest drivers, what is it you have a laptop, desktop, specs?

Ask a Question